!URGENT UA has done away with usa-europe award via asia!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by estnet, May 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    It used to be a great deal - 70k for first (saver) when available, but now after 3 hours on the phone with 2 different agents it seems impossible to ticket:mad:

I was given all sorts of ridiculous explanations - "you can go thru n asia but not se asia", it's too many segments and united has to pay $8 a segment", etc. I did this a few months ago, but can't seem to ticket it now. Another (UNANNOUNCED) change we'll like!

2. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow really? Good thing I got my trip in then before this memo took affect!

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Except the post title says US-Europe via Asia, this was never actually allowed and if anyone got it it was not really intentional but more of a glitch.

JFK-FRA-NRT-FRA-JFK permitted
    JFK-NRT-FRA-NRT-JFK not permitted

skyvan, NYCUA1K, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Umm - sfo-nrt-bkk-fra and vice -versa. It even showed up sometimes on .bomb, so from the left coast no backtracking???
    Help - someone just posted that they were allowed to ticket del-fra-bkk-sfo, so I don't understand why I can't book sfo-bkk-fra

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    SFO-NRT-BKK-FRA-BKK-NRT-SFO definitely not permitted although sometimes (frequently!) .bomb gives you things it shouldn't.

Just because you have managed to book things in the past that they shouldn't have let you doesn't mean they don't eventually put a stop to it :)

skyvan, NYCUA1K, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  7. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stand corrected, thanks Gary.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    so can you please explain the what the rule Is please?

there WAS an award that allowed sfo-jfk-fra-bkk or bkk-fra-sfo, and it was listed on the award chart (don't remember the code), and someone posted that they booked first del-bkk-fra-sfo for 80k in first and another person booked ord-dus-fra-icn-tpe-sin for 70k in first, so I'm baffled:confused:

9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Both of those are permitted (United really is the most liberal with routing rules pretty much of any zone-based award chart program...)

DEL-BKK-FRA-SFO is a ton of backtracking and pushing the envelope but still India-US via the Atlantic. DEL-FRA-SFO is the most 'standard' routing. Pre-merger with Continental it would be one of the few allowable routings (India-US via the Pacific didn't used to be permitted).

ORD-DUS-FRA-ICN-TPE-SIN is US-Asia via Europe, also allowed although traveling Europe-North Asia-South Asia is pushing it miles-wise.

Neither one is US-Europe via the Pacific...

10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - so even tho the allowed trips are longer I can't do it:( The strange part is that there aren't any saver seats sfo-fra, but strangely plenty sfo-bkk-fra:rolleyes:

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! I have argued ad nauseam with folks who have gotten something that a rule or another forbids, and turned around to start pushing their isolated success as an exception to a rule or standing policy. Most such extra-TC or extra-rule successes should be considered as flukes unless clearly backed later by a clear statement from the company or service provider.

gleff likes this.
  12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay... but it appears that I am the cause of the problem:oops: I confused in my addled brain usa- se asia via the atlantic with (what should in my mind be the same) via the PACIFIC. Apologies, apologies, apologies mea culpa:eek:

Wandering Aramean likes this.