Urgent Regarding United Routing Rules

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by corz123, Dec 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tue., Jan. 14, 2014 | San Francisco, CA (SFO) to Taipei, Taiwan (TPE)
    Depart:
    12:00 p.m.
    Tue., Jan. 14, 2014

San Francisco, CA (SFO)
    Arrive:
    6:00 p.m. +1 Day
    Wed., Jan. 15, 2014
    ICN
    Flight: OZ211
    Operated by Asiana Airlines.
    Aircraft: Boeing 777-200LR
    Fare Class: Business (I)
    Depart:
    7:45 p.m.
    Wed., Jan. 15, 2014

Seoul, Republic of South Korea (ICN - Incheon)
    Arrive:
    9:40 p.m.
    Wed., Jan. 15, 2014

Taipei, Taiwan (TPE)Flight Time:
    2 hr 55 mn

Travel Time:
    17 hr 40 mn
    Flight: BR159
    Operated by EVA Airways.
    Aircraft: Airbus A330-300
    Meal: None
    Fri., May. 9, 2014 | Singapore, Singapore (SIN) to Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH)
    Depart:
    11:50 p.m.
    Fri., May. 9, 2014

Singapore, Singapore (SIN)
    Arrive:
    6:25 a.m. +1 Day
    Sat., May. 10, 2014
    Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH)Travel Time:
    13 hr 35 mn
    Flight: SQ352
    Operated by Singapore Airlines.
    Tue., May. 20, 2014 | Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH) to Montreal, QC Canada (YUL - Trudeau)
    Depart:
    11:00 a.m.
    Tue., May. 20, 2014

Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH)
    Arrive:
    12:35 p.m.
    Tue., May. 20, 2014

Munich, Germany (MUC)Flight Time:
    35 mn
    Flight: SK1665
    Operated by SAS Scandinavian Airlines System.
    Aircraft: Canadair Regional Jet 900
    3:50 p.m.
    Tue., May. 20, 2014

Munich, Germany (MUC)
    Arrive:
    6:20 p.m.
    Tue., May. 20, 2014

Montreal, QC Canada (YUL - Trudeau)Flight Time:
    9 hr 30 mn

Travel Time:
    13 hr 20 mn
    Flight: LH474
    Operated by Lufthansa.
    Aircraft: Airbus A330-300
    Meal: None

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  2. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi guy. Can someone let me know if that's a valid routing through United? I originally booked this through their call center earlier and had an issue getting the ticket issued and the agent told me something different being that the routing wasn't valid.

I've gotten the following:
    1) Stopover in Europe isn't permitted due to the fact that it's not direct routing.
    2) Double Open Jaw isn't permitted since Taiwan is in North Asia and Singapore is in south Asia.
    3) Another told me: You can't have two open jaws and a stopover.

Are any of these points valid?

I would like to book a round trip to Asia with a stopover in europe with 2 open jaws. Sorry spent like 4 hours on the phone with united and they all just gave me different information. :(

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can't cross the Atlantic and the Pacific on a single Award for starters.

You can do US to Asia via Europe both directions with a stopover though but you can't fly to Asia to go to Europe.

4. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey. Thanks so much for responding. For some reason the system let me. Also am I misunderstanding the info from the top of this thread where it states that we can now cross both the Atlantic and Pacific?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-stopover-award-flights-consolidated-167.html

5. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it's because it's early and I havent' had my coffee, but I'm having a hell of a time decoding the itin above because you still have a ton of extraneous info in there. I don't see the second open jaw, but again maybe I just need to wake up more...

But I see two potential problems with what I can decode:
    1. You're trying to cross both oceans on a single round trip award. Technically that's supposed to make it a round-the-world award. Now, there have been numerous reports that UA has been letting folks book these, but it's still technically a no-no and they've definitely been clamping down on other things so it wouldn't shock me that they've fixed whatever loophole was allowing these to price like simple round trips.
    2. You may be running into trouble trying to open-jaw across regions. There's nothing specific to go on here in terms of published rules, but there have been a few reports that open jaws across regions have been getting rejected/forced to price as two awards.
    Two open jaws and a stopover should be legal, but you could still get tripped up by either of the issues above.

corz123 likes this.
  6. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to simplify I intend to go SFO --> TPE SIN --> CPH CPH--> Montreal
    With the CPH on the stopover back form asia to montreal.

7. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Okay, got it.

I'd say your issues are the two oceans and maybe the open jaw that crosses regions.

If you can find availability, you might try constructing it as:
    • SFO-TPE via Europe, then stopover in TPE
    • TPE-SIN, destination in SIN (between Eva, SQ, and TG this shouldn't be hard to find space for)
    • SIN-CPH as planned
    • Open jaw from CPH to somewhere in Europe where you can get on a LCC or using a handful of avios
    • Europe-Montreal (and if they give you problems with the double-open jaw just book onward to SFO and throw the segment away)
    That should be legal. The only thing you might have to worry about is the max segments rule for Asia-via-Europe making it harder to find the flights you need.

corz123 likes this.
  8. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a way to force the search to route through europe? WHen I do it automatically goes through pacific..also do I need TPE to SIN? I was hoping for that to be the first open jaw?

9. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    fwiw, I've booked RT awards online with open jaws involving two regions.

Moreover, I've called in & successfully made several changes to those awards without issue, as should be 'cause IME and afaik, the rules permit it.

That said, recently I've encountered increased push back from agents & supervisors when making changes to any awards involving stopovers and open jaws. :mad::(

No matter how polite and persistent or correct you are, sometimes it's wiser to know when to cut the call short and HUACA.

A recent blog post on issues with UA award routings can be found at http://travelisfree.com/2013/12/03/why-everyones-been-having-issues-with-united-stopovers. I don't know the author nor am I familiar with his experience or expertise. Still it was an interesting read.

Also, he states the 2 ocean rule is nonsense & commenters chime in with their success in booking 2 ocean awards but there's no way to know if those routings were the exception rather than the rule.

Good luck

10. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I don't know either. I've done two ocean round trips and I've done weird stopovers/open jaws. But I haven't done either in the last three months when it seems that a lot of things are changing or at least enforcement is changing.

That blog is interesting and he's clearly right about what .com appears to have let him do.

But the problem arrises when .com won't price the award or prices it "wrong." Then you're in a world where the agent may very well get the same error and will find a reason to justify it, whether that reason is at all right or not.
    So then it becomes a persuasion game to try to get them to send it to a supervisor or whatever award pricing desk may/may not exist. And then you have to hope that the rules you think you know are the rules.

It's more than HUCA, it's also a lot of trying to establish enough rapport with the agent you get that they're willing to work hard to get something strange done. Ju

bk3day likes this.
  11. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can search point-to-point along the routing and it should force it through europe. As for the open jaw, I don't know. People have had it work, but there have also been reports of people getting rejected when they try to do an open jaw across regions.

Your best bet seems to be to try to get .com to do as much of it as possible and then to just call in to make small modifications around the edges.

bk3day likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    False.

bk3day likes this.
  13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell that to United then. :rolleyes:

bk3day likes this.
  14. chrisbrooklyn

chrisbrooklyn New Member

Status Points:
    This spring I flew across both oceans on an award ticket. NYC to BKK via Narita, then BKK to London, and London back to NYC.

15. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hang up, call again.

corz123 likes this.
  16. jonk
    Original Member

jonk Silver Member

Status Points:
    try and keep that BR159 if only for the Hello Kitty factor! (if you're interested in that)

corz123 likes this.