URGENT - I need info on business seats on 777-200 sfoor lax/gum, etc

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by estnet, Aug 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if this is posted somewhere else but I only have a few hours to decide. I can't trust seat guru and the 1k line didn't know for sure, so
    Is the 2 class plane used on the 15 hour sfo or lax gum flight the old UA cradle seat, or like the first class domestic with only some seat recline?
    Second are the 757's used east coast to Europe (also 2 class) again cradle type seats or the domestic first class recline only?

2. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 757s used from the east coast to Europe feature UA's BusinessFirst, which are lie flat seats. Not sure about the GUM flights...

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 757s to Europe are fully flat beds. The 777s to GUM via HNL today are domestic F. They will be switching to something better but still not flat in a few months(-ish) but not solid timeline on that yet.

If you get a 764 to HNL then you get a barcalounger seat which is better than the 772. But HNL-GUM will still be the domestic 772 config.

IDGflygirl and estnet like this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks I just couldn't believe that a 15 hour flight (the flight I was looking at was 201 which didn't list a stop, Whoops there is one I just didn't notice the small print) would really have just recline (?and no footrest) in "business/first". How can they sell this? It surprised me that even the UA agent couldn't see anything specific:mad::confused:
    Are all the 757's to Europe flat beds. Also the 777-200's to Europe seem to be 3 class (at least some) so these have upgraded business?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They have a monopoly on the route. Makes it easier to provide a lower quality experience.
    They can. I'm guessing the one you spoke with either doesn't know how or doesn't care.
    Yes.
    There are 2-cabin and 3-cabin 772s flying these days. The 2-cabin are all flat in a 2-2-2 config. The 3-cabin are mostly the flat config (2-4-2) and a few barcaloungers still (2-3-2). Odds are very high at this point that you get the new config on the 3-cabin planes but not guaranteed AFAIK.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  6. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Far from it. You can fly DL from the West Coast to GUM via NRT and get an international product all the way (though you have to be careful as they also have domestic-style 757s on some GUM flights).

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was speaking of the GUM-HNL route. If all you care about is getting to GUM from the west coast then you can fly on a number of carriers to Asia - including UA - and then connect on.

8. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want your itinerary on one ticket, you have to fly either DL or UA. GUM is a domestic destination and cabotage rules apply.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can buy it on other carriers, too, even with the cabotage rules. It may price as an additive fare rather than a through-fare but it can be issued on a single ticket.

Not saying that's legitimate or not but it is sold.

10. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, you're right. Interesting. It looks like a foreign carrier segment is possible as long as you have another segment with a US carrier.
    https://www.worldagentdirect.com/deltaair/resource/content.do?resourceContentCode=CABOTAGE_DL

Just for kicks I tried setting up a split-carrier itinerary from LAX to GUM through NRT (combination of NH and UA), and could get it to price out on ITA, but only if there was a >24 hour layover in NRT.

That said, apparently the Japanese and Korean airlines were sued several years ago for violating cabotage rules by marketing connecting flights between the US and Guam, so they may refuse to allow a through booking of any kind regardless of how it is structured.

11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to everyone - it made my choice (not to give more money to UA) easy! So sad.