Urgent for LH flights next few days

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by estnet, Mar 31, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    My flight LH fra to sea due to leave in avout 20 hours was cancelled 2 hours ago! I was not notified by UA or LH even tho this is in the middle of an itin.
    Ticket was already issued flight still for sale on April 1 the day before the strike!
    I only found out because I was calling about something else an hour before leaving for my first flight. UA has no explanation how this happened and apparently cannot get any explanation from LH! I have my own suspicions about why they did this, but don't understand how ey can just cancel a ticketed passenger!

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your LH flight was canceled due to the strike so UA(assuming UA booked it) & LH(operating carrier) are responsible for getting you to your final destination regardless.

Why do you think LH would cancel your ticket out of malice?

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    The flight,was NOT cancelled, it is bookable on both UA and LH! It is BEFORE the strike. Sorry if u thought it was the flight that was cancelled, it was JUST my reservation on the flight that went away!
    As it turns out it looks like it was a UA FU probably.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you got it fixed then...

5. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    its a rolling strike - some flights cancelled today already - some tomorrow - and others wed/thurs/fri.

get on the phone with LH

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is it is the passengers who are getting rolled :mad::oops:

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps LH doesn't want the plane to be stranded at an out station (SEA).

8. HubletUAFlyer

Status Points:
    . I know...I'm getting rolled.

In BCN now headed to MXP via FRA and 2 x LH flights. Both are ok but my LH flights on Wednesday are shot to pieces

9. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with other poster. Many LH flights will cancel on 31Mar and 01Apr because LH doesn't want the crew or the planes stranded at an outstation. Why would LH want to pay for crews to overnight in say JNB, SIN, PVG, etc. when it's the crew who are on strike and won't fly the plane back?

Note: I'm in FRA right now flying on a super jumbo to another continent and the plane is on-time and not full. But I have seen some cancellations on the board, though not many as it is only 31March here in FRA.

-Rob

Flyer1976 and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. HubletUAFlyer

Status Points:
    Rob

Are you in the terminal or already boarded?

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure that LH would be liable for paying travel expenses of striking crew unless this is a German/EU regulation or is required by the union contract. When the PMNW pilots went on strike, FAs who were trapped overseas were on their own to pay their own hotel and meal expenses according to a FA I know.

12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    There may be a union contract requirement or EU regulation saying that. Unions in Europe are far more powerful than they are in the US.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would seem ironic that an employee is stuck somewhere because their own union is striking but the employer must pay their expenses.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know what contracts LH and the unions have... but: the pilots union is striking. The crew includes FAs, too, which aren't represented by the pilots union, and they aren't striking.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand this. I was referring to a striking pilot having expenses covered by the airline. If your union isn't striking, then it's not your fault in any sense, but in the PMNW case, FAs nevertheless had to pay their own expenses. It caused a lot of anxiety, but after a few days PMNW flew them home on other carriers.

16. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP here. It turns out that my problem was totally due to incompetence by UA having the record time out and not completing it and had NOTHINGmto do with the strike!
    The part I don't understand is that a confirmed ticket was issued, record located for LH, selected seats on LH and FOUR days later the flight disappeared! I thought I had done everythingossible to check that UA had done everything correctly with the partner and I thought 2 days was the usual for it to cancel if UA hadn't done things correctly, but wrong on both counts I guess!

Flyer1976, MX and WilliamQ like this.
  17. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you managed to get your seats back? Did they also throw in complimentary upgrades for the inconvenience and stress? :)

18. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    One other question. Was your credit card ever charged?
    In your case, I do have to say that 4 days and no posting might still be hard to tell if it is a sign that things did not go right.
    However, if the charges had went through and posted clearly, it would be easy to prove error on the airline.

MX likes this.
  19. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it would. It would also defy all common sense, but that's not something unions have a great deal of, IMO.

20. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry I missed you. I wrote my post and then shut down my laptop. I was in the Senator Lounge in the Z terminal. Yourself? I departed from Z66 yesterday if that helps you determine which flight I was on (and maybe you were on the same one).

-Rob

21. HubletUAFlyer

Status Points:
    we were close. I was heading FRA to MXP at the time I wrote my note. Would have been cool to catch up...maybe next time.

How was the 747-8?

22. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ticket was an exchange (different routing) of an existing ticket so there either was no charge or a credit ( and we. All know how much longer it takes to post a credit than a charge :)). The only things I could rely on we're that an actual ticket had been issued and LH recognized the PNR generated by UA

No ug, not even much of an apology, nor any interest in making sure it doesn't happen to anyone else!

The LH flight had 50% occupancy. FA said they would have 5 days in SEA and hotel and food taken care of by airline. They were called in advance and given the choice of accepting the longer layOver or changing.

WilliamQ likes this.
  23. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was on an A388. And it's pretty bad. The plane is very quiet but the windows aren't really bigger (IMO) and the IFE system was inoperable for the very long flight.

-Rob