Upstairs, downstairs?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Dovster, Jul 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where is the best place to sit on a 747-400? I will be flying on this giant for the first time in August TLV-JFK.

I currently have seat 4B. I chose it because it is closest to the exit and I am going to want to get off of that plane and into the Passport Control line before the several million other people on that flight do.

If I were to choose an upper level seat, would I find myself stuck behind a lot of people or does Delta get all Biz Elite passengers off before Y is allowed to exit? Also, is there really enough of advantage in sitting on the upper level to make it worth carrying your hand luggage up and down the stairs?

WesNSpace and jbcarioca like this.
  2. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For shear comfort and space.... 73A is the winner.... followed closely by 77A ..... both on the upper deck. This is a quieter cabin and has the great window side lockers which double as a small table for all your inflight stuff!

On the other hand, to get off the plane first, take 10A or 10B. both with miles of room (you can easily get out /past the other seat without climbing) and near the boarding door!.

It is your choice as to which is better, inflight space or speed to get off the plane.

jmrich1432, jbcarioca and savydog like this.
  3. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always prefer the upper deck.... a whole lot less going on and always much easier to relax.
    (It is where all the cool people sit.)

jmrich1432 and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, that certainly disqualifies me.

Incidentally, is there a lav up there? I didn't see one on the seat map.

Traveller and jbcarioca like this.
  5. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lav with a hot tub.....

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    and shower.

Ooops, that's EK.

Seriously - Upper Deck is where you want to be. You feel like you're flying on a big plane, but the cabin is small and intimate. I take the 'worst' seat upstairs before going downstairs simply for the more private atmosphere.

The incremental time to get off the plane is trivial I think. You'll be off hours before the guy in 49H.

7. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there are two lavs for the 24 lucky BE passengers. Both are forward in the cabin.

In the good old days, the FAs used to block the aisles to allow all the WBC passengers off the plane before any Y passengers... Some still might do that. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is still the good old days on BA and AF.

9. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was the last time I flew AF

NYBanker likes this.
  10. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    They do this on DL too in my experience (block the aisle so that BE can get off first).

My fav seat -- window exist upstairs. Preferable the side w/o FA jump seat, but both have massive leg room, access to the aisle, and not as noisy as other parts of the plane. Generally, no kids are up stairs, which also keeps the noise down.

Dave

11. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    DOVSTER!

Sorry I missed u at the end. The US Embassy lost my passport and found it, adding to my 'great' travel experience this time...
    To your question- upper deck!
    73AB, 77AB or 77JK.

If not, any 2nd floor seat is more peaceful than the first floor's mad house...

If u want to be near door, then take 10AB or 4AB. If u are a DM ;-) you'll have meet and greet at JFK which would take you to the top of the line either way... works GREAT!

12. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, you have talked me into it. I switched to 73B (I only sit in aisle seats).

If necessary, I will slide down the bannister in order to get off of the plane quickly after we land.

13. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not a DM. I am an FO. After this trip I will be a GM (I certainly deserve it -- this will be my second SkyTeam itinerary this year and I will have a grand total of 8 segments).

Davescj likes this.
  14. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    So they made you a GOLDster!

15. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the 747 at JFK they block all Y pax and let the BE pax leave the plane first. I just took the flight yesterday. Was great. Slept like a baby (no, did not wake up 10 times...)

16. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you sit in row 77, a window seat still gives you interrupted walking access to the aisle - and less risk of bumps - and the side storage. Exit row upper deck window seats are my favorite J seats (and I'm an aisle guy). If there were ever a flight to try it, this would be it.

Have you ever been upstairs before?

17. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never even been on a 744. Most of my flights to the States are into ATL, and DL uses 777s for the TLV-ATL run.

Question: I have to get up numerous times during a flight both to exercise (doctor's orders) and because I take a medicine while flying which requires me to drink a lot of water -- and that water, obviously, has to come out.

I do not like the idea of repeatedly disturbing the person in the aisle seat, so I always sit in it. In row 77, if the person in the aisle seat has it in the fully extended position to sleep, will I still be able to walk around him? How about in row 73?

NYBanker likes this.
  18. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a valid reason to prefer aisles.

If you are in row 77, you will be able to get up without bothering anyone. It is probably 7 feet from the where your knees are when sitting upright to the back of the seat in front of you. There is a full exit door there, which of course, is not blocked. There is more room in front of this seat than there is on a 757 when sitting in the row that is at doors 2L&R.

If you're not going to be in proper first class (not offered on DL), the best seats in the plane are upstairs in j*. It is a very private cabin upstairs - yet the flying feel reminds you that you are on a stable large plane.

If you normally don't get to sit in the window, the upstairs exit row is the one time you should try it.

I prefer 747s to 380s if I'm in j, simply because of the far more private upstairs on the now old 747s.

*- LH has their f upstairs.

Dovster likes this.
  19. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I have taken your advice and switched to 77A. If I find myself stuck in there, my lawyer will be speaking with yours the next day.

20. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Upper deck you can't go wrong with it. In terms of getting off ahead of people in Y -- you'll see some variance, but you'll probably be ahead of most of them. Depends on the crew if they block Y from getting off after Bizelite.

21. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While you may like the aisle, the window seat in 73A is by far the better of the seats, because of the window-side locker. You would have a personal drink table in 73A with no chance of your seatmate spilling the drink.

You will be able to get up without any effort from 73A. I promise! :)

22. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to worry about this one... :)

23. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    After all of this, I am not going to be on that flight.

I always prefer flying into ATL for two reasons:

1. TLV-ATL flights have lie flat beds.

2. I can smoke airside in ATL, meaning that if I want a cigarette not only do I not have to go outside like I would at JFK, but with a few hours between flights I can smoke several times, use the SkyClub between smokes to check my e-mail, and only go through the TSA line once.

When I made the original reservation I asked the Customer Service Rep if there was a direct TLV-ATL flight on Aug 3. She told me there wasn't, so I took the JFK flight. Today, out of curiosity, I looked at what was available on Aug 2. Yup, there was a flight and, no, it does not mean that I have to leave a day earlier -- the ATL flight takes off at 23:20 and the JFK flight at 00:05. I will only be leaving 45 minutes earlier.

Best of all, my favorite seat (7A) was available. This seat is a window seat with no aisle seat next to it and, like 7D, has an extra table which is arranged in a way to give you extra privacy. No other seats have these.

I called CSR again and asked if I could switch flights. The problem was that I am on an M fare upgrading with SkyMiles and we didn't know if Z class was available on both segments. It turned out that it was and after wondering aloud why the original CSR did not suggest this to me, she warned that there would be a difference in price.

Both of us were surprised to learn that the difference was in my favor. Not only am I getting the flight that I wanted but I am also getting a $20 credit to my Amex! :)

NYBanker likes this.
  24. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking forward to seeing more flatbeds in the 744s. I think it will be an improvement. I can only say that the conversion won't come fast enough. Hopefully, DL will order the 748 as well.

That all said, you just cannot go wrong with the aisle up stairs. It is the best seat in the house.

Gargoyle likes this.
  25. Oh geez someone needs to video this..

Gargoyle likes this.