Upsell to more expensive coach

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just playing around with a route where FC isn't available and I noticed that when I search by price and cabin (but not by schedule or by class) it offered the option to "upgrade your flight" which then switched the booking class from L to H, a more than 30% increase in price. If I instead click on the refundable economy option that is offered simultaneously, the price increases by even more, about 45%, but it's still an H class ticket that's offered.

I wonder if this is the version of the FC upsell being promoted, but for DL Connection flights where there are no FC seats to monetize.

2. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you buy the "Premium economy upsell" can you get a preferred seat as a non-elite?

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, but if you book at Y fare you can

Skyvillager and ryandc99 like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    None of the fares offered were even close to full Y. Both were H fares, compared to L that apparently was the cheapest for the particular flights being selected. I couldn't see the fare rules, but refundable H surprised me.

5. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems that Delta sells only very expensive coach fares for every directions. I checked Athens for September - $3000+ (coach, search by "low price"), Kiev - $2200+ for June.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This shouldn't be the motivation/explanation for the upsell being offered to me since as a DM, I can certainly get a preferred seat for myself.

7. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Delta!

Skyvillager likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    September is likely to be high season for Athens and it's still a bit early to purchase September tickets according to DL's typical fare patterns. Remember also that oil prices are skyrocketing.

9. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went to Athens in last September 2010 on Delta - paid about $1200. I anticipate that Delta will lower the prices in few months - probably they are `looking for' unexperienced passengers.