Upsell to First on First award ticket??

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Mrs. Fredd, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just bought a first class domestic award ticket, with one leg (PVD-ORD) in coach because first is "not available". On the final purchase page an offer is made to "opt" for first class for that leg for an extra $300! What gives?! The upsells are getting really annoying! If it is available for purchase, why isn't it available for award booking?

2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The only time I've ever seen upsells is when NF space is available. The award ticket books in to XF (I think) ... so maybe that flight has NF space, but no XF space? What flight #/date is it?

3. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that is right. I understand the separate buckets, but I am just surprised that it is offering the upsell - in theory you shouldn't be able to upgrade an award ticket. Did get it waitlisted for first, though.

4. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm not surprised they are trying to get you for another $300. That has to be totally frustrating! This may be a complete waste of time...but have you considered calling the 1K desk and asking them to call inventory management to see if they'd open up 1 XF seat? I mean...they have the NF there.

5. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO seems to be offering upsells on award tickets these days, so the fact that UA does it does not surprise me. The term, "Anything f:eek:r money," comes to mind.

Gtitan likes this.
  6. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Already done that....that's how I got the "waitlist". Probably will clear, but I really think there is something "wrong" with the whole deal - selling first with miles, and then asking for more money to get first....

7. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Already done that....that's how I got the "waitlist". Probably will clear, but I really think there is something "wrong" with the whole deal - selling first with miles, and then asking for more money to get first....[/quote]

I agree. I hate that kind of mickey mouse stuff. :(

8. Actonma
    Original Member

Actonma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lots of strange things happening to generate more revenue on the margin I fear. I had a upgrade request pending to NC on a TPAC and called 2 days before flight to see if they might be able to clear it, somethign they sometimes do for GS' when there is lots of space available. Flight was C9/D8 and agent said there were 8 seats available but that "she couldn't clear the upgrade because Y was oversold and they were likely going to have to move people up." I could only wonder if this meant they were delaying clearing SWU's, even for GS', in favor of UFC?

9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was offered an upsell to UA F (SFO-NRT) on a US F award (at the time, was booked into J on that segment, but I eventually fixed it). So apparently they'll even try to upsell OAL tickets on their metal.

10. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Suprising [​IMG]
    Up sell to F for an F award...

Skyvillager likes this.
  11. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It appears the business model is now anything for a buck.

12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but the particular segment was in C, and it was a US award- meaning UA was allowing US access to I, but not O.

And as I said, I eventually fixed that (I am now in F on that award and on that segment). I wasn't about to pay $700ish to go from the upper deck of a 747 to the nose... though if it HAD given me F EQMs on UA for SFO-NRT, I might have been tempted... but I don't think that is how it works.

13. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    upselling F to F.....must be riding in the cockpit or the front washrooms