Upper deck 747 new config

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Sep 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you feel is the best seat on the upper deck?

NYBanker likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ones on LH. ;)

Flyer1976, Steve GadFly, kwai and 5 others like this.
  3. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    flyingdawg and Ygor like this.
  4. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like rows 14-15. I also typically like the windows on the upper deck due to the storage bins in which you can store your smaller carryon, although it is a bit of a pain climbing over the aisle seatmate to get out. Still, I'm still relatively young and limber, so no issues. Last time, got lucky - I was in 15K and 15J was moved because his seat was inoperable. Had PLENTY of room!

kwai, Flyer1976 and sfo1 like this.
  5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like any of the seats upstairs. I know seatguru mentions that the lay-flat seats upstairs are a little shorter then downstairs, but I never noticed it (I'm 6'2"). I'm a window guy myself, but the more evening flights I take the more I like the lay-flat isles seats for sleeping. Yes, it's almost imposible to hurdle over someone sleeping so most people understand that and it's no big deal.
    Have fun,
    John

sfo1 likes this.
  6. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the 15's windows. Always windows for me, not only for storage but in lie flat I actually stretch out onto the storage bin tops as well! Tough to climb over seat opponent but oh well. On 15K I can actually scoot out window side without climbing over- but 15A is impossible.

Some like the 12's and 13's, very quiet but too close to the bathrooms for me. Don't like the noise or the aroma....

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rear-facing by the window.

Window because of view and storage boxes. Rear-facing because it's unusual.

8. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info to my question, I always take an aisle when I sit on the upper deck, don't like to disturb my seat mate, as I tend to get up quiet often. Decided to keep row 17, first for meal service and first down the stairs.

9. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, I tried that the last time I was in 15K with a seatmate in the aisle. I didn't find it as easy as just climbing over my seatmate, but it certainly is doable if you're not too big (and I'm a skinny guy, so there's that).

Jslo likes this.
  10. Michael D

Michael D Silver Member

Status Points:
    The first time I sat in a rear facing seat I kept thinking, its taking this plane a long time to back away from the gate as I read my book and then we left the ground and I remembered where I was sitting.

catgirl, Flyer1976 and RichardInSF like this.
  11. kluau88
    Original Member

kluau88 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer 16A.

12. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of aroma......

Jslo likes this.
  13. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL. Remember that one flight to BKK? Holy Smokes there was something wrong with the ventiliation on that flight. I never did determine exactly where the smell was coming from. But there were plenty of potential perpetrators on that flight...

TimeZoneCST likes this.
  14. I am a window 15/13 fan. Always try to get one of those seats. I agree, even though there is supposed to be a bit less room upstairs, that upper deck is pref to below. Lower deck (and 777) seems tighter, think its not having the side storage bins and being right up against the window.

15. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been on the 747 lower deck, but the 747 UD definitely seems wider than the new C seats on the 767. Maybe it's just me? Haven't been on new C on a 777, either.

16. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes, yes...I have my suspicions too, but it will forever remain one of those mid-air mysteries. Right up there with, "What was that strange light I just saw at 35k ft !?!".

Jslo likes this.