UPGRD Waitlinst - Yes, you're on/No, you're not

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by zpaul, Oct 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't a big deal since I just called to remove myself from the upgrade wait list for some upcoming flights, but I found the conversation a bit confusing. Stuff happens, and I'm not upset, but it is strange and doesn't build confidence.

I booked SCL-DFW-MIA-DFW-SCL about a week ago for travel next week (over the "conversion weekend" of the 17th), and requested to be placed on the wait list for AA940 & 945 at the time of booking (done in person at an AA CTO). Confirmed.

Called a few days ago when I thought I saw EF show open C space. I was wrong, but confirmed on wait list again.

Decided last night that I'd rather have the $700 to spend in Miami rather than upgrade, so I called today and was told that I wasn't even on the wait list. Very strange - since I wasn't on the wait list for the international legs, she removed me from the complimentary domestic upgrade list, then put me back on when I realized what she did. So now my priority is as of today rather than my original booking date. Again, I'm not upset, but it's interesting. Is there work being done on the systems already for the integration, or should this be racked up to a simple glitch? Not thrilled to have thought I was waitlisted and to find out I wasn't.

2. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks,
    I dropped out awhile ago, but then came back to lurk for a bit, prior to booking a JFK/SCL/PUQ r/t. Seeing zpaul's yes/no message made me think of my own (mis-)adventures with AA. First, the JKF/SCL r/t (both with a connection in MIA) are on AA, the SCL/PUQ r/t on LAN Chile--but the whole works booked and paid for via AA. So, my record locator shows the correct itinerary and correct prices ($3,000+) at the bottom of the page. But on the right side of the same page I see Total Paid: $881.10 USD, 2 adults @ $363 each, plus taxes. Total Paid in extra large boldface font, listed twice. God only knows what the barcode says, so I tried a half-dozen or so times to get this bogus info corrected. Finally, an AA agent told me to just ignore it--the errors are due to part of the route being on AA, the other part on LA. So, I'm now 2 adults: one on AA, the other on LA. The $363 each doesn't relate to any of the flight segments. So I opened up the HTML file and disabled all the bogus info, so there'll be no confusion at check-in time. Yikes!! what a coding mess! There are more errors than I've ever seen anywhere else. So, what's the point of this tirade? Merely to sound a warning. If you book anything but a plain-vanilla itinerary, be prepared for a print-out that bears little or no resemblance to reality. Maybe this'll get fixed one of these post-merger days, but in the meantime, watch out;).

3. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't 'like' this. Welcome to the wonderful world if us(care) operations. Having lived through the merger/ buy out of America West and the aborted merger between us(care) and UA I can tell you that thing will get much worse before they get better. Truth in advertising notice: US sent me screaming into the night and I am currently a 1mm on UA thanks to them.

4. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow...what a mess. I just flew an itinerary booked through AA with codeshares on LA and QF with no problems, except that every carrier used separate PNRs for seat selection, etc - QF even used two! But everything went off without a hitch. I hope this is temporary.

5. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too. In any case, I think (hope!) all's well. It's really odd that AA posts redundant -- and in this case, wrong -- info on the page. Even if it were correct, it simply duplicates pricing info at the bottom of the page. And when it's incorrect, it's just a cause for confusion. Anyway, the only purpose in mentioning this is as a "head's up" to anyone else who encounters the same thing.