Upgrading with miles and cash

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Sep 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have booked a flight from YVR ORD GRU and return. Booked L class for CAD $1202.00ai, have checked what it would have cost in W with an SWU in both directions business class $1600.00 with no guarantee. If I wanted to use miles and cash, the bottom line is +$600.00 and 50,000 miles over and above the W fare with SWU's for the round trip worth It?

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would just do the $1,600 W fare + SWUs instead of wasting 50,000 Miles but that's my opinion... Everyone else has different valuations.

3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have alot of miles just about 900,000 and will do 100,000 in the coming year, so don't know if using 50,000 would be such a great loss to me.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like I said everyone values things differently, if I had 900K I'd probably do that but if it cost about the same and I was using SWUs...I'd do the SWU route.

5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I understand what your saying, but I will have quite a few Int'l flights next year and I need to pick and choose on what itineraries I will be using the SWU's, I have a trip in late Feb for TLV and want to use two of them for that, also HKG and probably two with LH to Europe and that will use them up. Have lots of miles, but only 6 SWU' s to use so picking and choosing it's got to be. I may end up just fly coach to GRU, have done that many times, and it's not that bad. Have already chosen my seats so may just end up staying in economy.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it known whether miles and cash or SWUs have priority for upgrades? That fact should factor into your decision of which routes to use SWUs. Do you anticipate flying on flights that would be expected to be particularly easy or hard to upgrade?

7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe under the new MP program upgrades for cash + miles preemts SWU"s. Last time I flew from TLV back to IAD, I was using an SWU, when I got to the airport I was told that there were only two seats in business class seats left and that there were people in front of me for them. I then told the agent I would like to try for a co pay + miles. Got to the gate, name was called and I was upgraded to business class, this was last February. The routes I am going to try and use SWU's on are generally elite heavy, but have been very lucky so far in the past two years. Have used co pay +cash also on SFO SYD SFO. All the rest of my SWU's for this year are spoken for upgraded YVR SEA NRT BKK and return, and also I have one left for SFO FRA, all have cleared.