Upgrading to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by milchap, Aug 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been offered a free upgrade to Windows 10;

I am looking for Milepointers who are now using Windows 10.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Disclosure: I am technologically challenged, :D

uggboy and YULtide like this.
  2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I upgraded last night and I've been pleased so far. The upgrade was totally painless, and took maybe an hour or so (although it will definitely depend on your internet speed as it could be a lot longer on a slow connection). The interface will look familiar regardless of which previous version you were using (7 or 8). I was running 8.1 and I'm semi-happy with the new start menu (lower left). It is more Windows 7 like, but I still need to customize it to remove those obnoxious tiles on the right hand side (they take up too much space).

By default, there was a huge "search the web or windows" box on the taskbar across the bottom of the screen. You can right click on that and change it to just be an icon so it doesn't monopolize so much space.

All around the look is a lot "flatter" - similar to the changes Apple made on more recent versions of iPhone software. Also, gone is Internet Explorer (although the icon is still pretty much the same). Now it is called Microsoft Edge. I use Google Chrome, but will play around with that at some point when I'm bored.

So far so good, but I haven't had a ton of time to tinker yet. All my software works just fine! Bloggers and IT journalists have been surprisingly positive about Windows 10.

uggboy and milchap like this.
  3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you @ chrislacey !

uggboy and YULtide like this.
  4. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have Windows 10 now on both a ThinkPad T440s and a ThinkPad Tablet 2. Both working fine, although I had some trouble on my T440s getting it to go - I had to essentially reinstall Windows 8 first, then the upgrade took.

This is Microsoft's best product so far at retaining all your settings and programs during an upgrade - probably because, although they call this Windows 10, it's really Windows 8.2 in terms of outright changes.

The biggest difference so far is the Start Menu, which is now a nice hybrid of Windows 7 and the Windows 8 tiles, and quite customizable.

Two things lost: Far fewer background colors to choose from, and while you can designate a folder with many pictures in it to use as your wallpaper and randomly change them every so often - the mechanism to do this is dumbed down from Windows 7/8.

TOBB is reporting some problems if you have a non-standard setup - for instance, lots of partitions on your hard disk; virtual machines running; oddball programs; or other-than-mainstream hardware and/or software configurations. I estimate this is affecting perhaps 0.1% of all installs, but because they're all yelling about it, they're getting a disproportionate share of attention.

mevlannen, uggboy and milchap like this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just watch out for the endless loop of failed updates bug reported today.

6. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've been lucky so far and haven't had any failed updates. The one thing I would add is that I continue to have a graphics card driver crash every time I use Photoshop (but no other Adobe CS suite programs). Quite annoying. I've updated Photoshop, installed the most recent display drivers, and I still get the message.

7. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Windows 10 has been pretty seamless so far (bought a computer with Windows 8 and immediately upgraded). I do like the ability to sync the phone and desktop.

8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ran a couple of versions of the preview Tech builds and although I didn't like it at first (buggy apps and no anti-virus that would run properly on it), it grew on me. Right now waiting for MS to send our Enterprise license keys to start messing around with virtual machines inside our company before rolling it out. For personal use I don't mind it, but for company use it will take me some time to get my head around the group policies.

uggboy, icurhere2 and milchap like this.
  10. mrhasterrr

mrhasterrr Member

Status Points:
    Never ever again.

11. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean ?

YULtide and Newscience like this.
  12. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still old-school here, running Windows 7 with all the security settings locked-down. The concept of 'the cloud' leaves me feeling uncomfortable. I suppose it's the sense of vulnerability that arises from having one's information stored on a third-party computer.

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our corporate is not yet doing windows 10 and by time they do I hope to be retired with a MacBook Pro :)

mevlannen, icurhere2 and Lionell like this.
  14. superangrypenguin

superangrypenguin Silver Member

Status Points:
    mevlannen likes this.
  15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have one more machine to do at home.

The wife's IT Dept is still on Windows 7,

No problems to report.

Mac Pro is fine also...on IOS 9.2.1 for the IPhone..updated today

mevlannen likes this.
  16. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not much

mevlannen, YULtide and satman40 like this.
  17. MildSoft05

MildSoft05 Member

Status Points:
    I haven't tried it out and I'm in no hurry to upgrade to it. I heard there are some issues with it especially regarding privacy.

mevlannen likes this.
  18. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having lived(?) through many OS upgrades I am reluctant to do it agin. There are glowing reviews but people who have upgraded with great ease and then the failure horror stories where the end user is unable to recover after a failure and loses everything on the PC and starts over. My experiences upgrading starting with DOS V 1.5 through XP have been more on the negative side. (I still have DOS5 and XP in factory sealed packages :)) With XP, I had several great successes and a couple of epic failures. Today's OSs have requirements rarely seen with PCs that are older than a year and you don't want to go with the minimum requirements.
    IMO: It's much easier andless time consuming in the long run to acquire a new PC with the wanted OS.

mevlannen and satman40 like this.
  19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sure miss DOS, and the go to , < ., >, the bootlean,statements, and the dial up modems,,

Loved the Apple 2, and the Trash 80..

No problem with the Mac Pro,

Office is still on XP, Slow to boot..

mevlannen likes this.
  20. MildSoft05

MildSoft05 Member

Status Points:
    I was actually thinking of upgrading to it before it tried to force itself to my home PC. Also, I heard somewhere that enterprises will have to way a monthly subscription for Windows 10. Is this true?

mevlannen likes this.
  21. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gmail not used here. We do, incidentally, use a bespoke code-book for commercial messages, and understand full well that that's not a robust security solution.

22. SamanthaFrank

SamanthaFrank Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your update, much appreciated guys. Have a nice day

23. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Win10 sucks rocks. The new "features" are not useful for me, I hate the cloud and store nothing on it, it's time wasting to re-set many control panel settings, time wasting to deal with new latency and stickiness and long boot times, there's far too much spying, it caused instant death to my previously fully functional HDMI output so I can't even watch the Tay S vs Kat P cat-wrestle I want to manage - I haven't been able to restore this function on any of my Win10 machines - I don't want to buy a new computer and submit to churned obscolescence on the part of the IT biz...and more. Win10 is the preferred software platform of DL apologists and Dilbertists.

24. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if I conveyed my meaning clearly. Win10 sucks rocks.

If only I could have denied it, but - you may find this amusing considering we're on IF and not a computer forum - for some reason last time at the Star Lounge at GRU it took control of my Win 8.1 laptop even though I had tried to prevent it sneakily loading, and without warning it performed the uncommanded "deathgrade"... I couldn't stop it at the time because I had to board for EWR. So to my horror, my machine churned away, as I put it in my pack, and it eventually shut down. Sure enough, on reboot at EWR next morning, Bill had triumphed.

I've experienced previous nightmares e.g. Win95, yes WIN NINE FIVE, and if you remember that, then you know, how bad this experience always is. I loathe new OS and all it entails.... the ridiculous fetishism of useless new "features" that I don't want or need, and the stealthy elimination of previously useful and functional items, at best, or more usually, total lockup, blue screens of death, unprompted crashes caused by system instability and "incompatibility" with any and all drivers - like my audio and video card drivers that have been working fine for years before, etc.

What a global time-sink!