Upgrading to Club World on AA Codeshare LAX-LHR on BA?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by xtn, Dec 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. xtn

xtn

Hi all:

Now that AA has really stepped up its LAX-LHR codeshare flights on BA metal with 100% miles etc., it's very tempting to get on these planes. The cabins are in better shape than the AA 777s and it's a nicer comparative service in all cabins. However - I continue to fly AA metal (flights 135 and 136) because as an EXP I am very likely to get an upgrade on my economy ticket to AA business using an eVIP.

Question: Is there ANY way to get an upgrade to BA business (Club World) on one of these AA code share flights using AA EXP status/eVIP's/miles? I get different answers on this. Once when I was checking in at LAX, they "upgraded" me to premium economy, but I got the sense that that was just because the ground staff was needing to free up some room in the back and they were on the lookout for status holders to move around. But Premium Economy sure isn't Club World.

Love to get some feedback on this - thank you!

zpaul likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Your status will not get you anything unless, as you noted, they potentially need to give an op up. Your SWUs are no good on BA metal either.

Your only chance is an AA Partner Upgrade Award: LINK.

Please note that there are fare class restrictions (you need to book a W class WT+ ticket, not an economy ticket) and that you need to ticket this through AA.com.

zpaul likes this.
  3. xtn

xtn

That's really helpful thank you!l - but if I book the W class ticket on BA metal through AA.com and it's 25K AA miles to upgrade, can I do that in advance and get on an upgrade list, or only do this at the airport? I don't think there was a procedure included on the Awards page.

zpaul likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least you can buy W-class WT plus tickets on AA.COM now. I just put up a blog post about this. Then, if you have BA miles, I'd assume you could put in your BAEC number and upgrade with BA miles on BA's site.

xtn likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Has something changed? I thought you could only upgrade BA flights with BA miles on tickets bought through BA? LINK.

Of course OP can always just buy through BA and credit to AA if he wants to use BA miles.

zpaul likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just like using AA miles to upgrade an AA flight, you can call when you buy the ticket (or even before you buy if you put it on hold on AA.com).

zpaul likes this.
  7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's no "where purchased" requirement there. What *could* matter is the flight number... but given that the booking will produce a BA PNR (not the same as the AA PNR) and it's a BA flight, I'd think it should be possible. We shall see... since this is the first time I know of you can buy WT+ other than through BA.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hate to disagree, but the 2nd sentence on the page says: To calculate how many BA Miles you need to upgrade a ticket purchased directly from British Airways:

Also the BA FAQ on upgrades posted on FT says: Another extremely important caveat is that you can only upgrade a ticket that has been purchased directly from BA. This applies to ba.com or over the phone. If you are in North America, you can upgrade a ticket, but it must have been purchased from a “BA Preferred Travel Agent”.

Perhaps AA is considered a BA Preferred Travel Agent, though if so I wonder why the FAQ doesn't say that's an option for North America buyers?

9. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Destination David's response - no upgrades on code share flights. I just flew an AA code share on BA metal from LAX to LHR in Business and requested an upgrade using a SWU/EVIP and was told they are only good on AA metal. That said, I would have to agree with the statement that BA planes are in better shape than AA's. I flew BA's Club World (Business) in the upper deck of a 74 and was thoroughly impressed! Maybe one day they will honor each other's EVIPS?

Skye1 likes this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Your SWU isn't good on BA metal, but I believe you could have have used AA miles to upgrade as long as you met the criteria posted above (booked through AA, eligible fare class).

The Partner Upgrade Award page I linked to above says: Codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers are also eligible to upgrade.

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I missed that in my readings. Good catch. I'm guessing that means it needs to be on BA ticket stock... not just BA metal.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No worries, you'll catch my next one I'm sure. :)

13. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree.
    BA's Club World, Upper Deck/747, Exit Row, Window....as a hard product, definitely better than AA.

14. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree: BA Club World, Upper Deick of 74, Exit Row, Window--best business class seat on the plane, IMHO, and--yep, definitely a better hard product than AA.

That said, one has to think if it's worth the difference betweenthat, and, paying a discount economy fare and using an EVIP to upgrade to Business on AA, vs. the cost, beginning with an eligible fare class and then surchages, etc., and then the miles, to upgrade on BA? YMMV.

15. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having done this, I can confirm that the ticket must be re-issued on BA stock and that AA can do it for you.

In my situation it way an AA codeshare in Y. In order to upgrade to J using AA miles, the ticket first had to be converted to WT+ on BA stock.

Lewis likes this.
  16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What you quoted was about using BA miles, not AA miles though. Your experience seems like an issue related to AA miles.

The AA mile issue was further up and the information posted seems to match what you've said already, except AA now sells WT+ directly.

17. Lewis

Lewis Active Member

Status Points:
    And just to be clear, it needed to be a "W" (as opposed to a "T") fare, correct?

Thanks,
    Lewis

18. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed it had to be booked in "W" so it was pricey but I needed to do it.

Lewis likes this.
  19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sadly T is only for using BA miles. :(