Upgrading tickets using points from another airline

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by kabrams1618, Apr 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kabrams1618

kabrams1618 Member

Status Points:
    Can you use points from one airline to upgrade flight on another airline in the same alliance. How would you do this.
    Example you book a flight on british air. Can you then use usair points to upgrade your tickets.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    no

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only way to fly upfront with miles across alliance airlines is to book the front cabin tickets directly with miles. Revenue tickets cannot be upgraded with miles across alliance carriers...

4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure you can do it with United.
    https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/upgrade/saua.aspx

My understanding was it basically took a full fare ticket to do so, and it came out of award space, but I am not 100% sure on that.

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    edekba, Muerl and NYCUA1K like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right. I had a completely different scenario in mind, which I translated badly: The fare class on the partner is usually quite high or expensive, which made it prohibitive, at least for me. From there I translated to "it could not be done", since I'd determined for myself a long time ago that I would not do it.

edekba likes this.
  7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you were to for example be booking a cash premium economy ticket to NZ and looking to upgrade to Business it might be worth it (not that I would do that, but its an idea) Looks like all but the cheapest PE fairs are upgradeable.

Of course that requires Business Space which doesn't exist.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another reason I would not do such *A upgrades is that, as one who is after the UA MM status, I am not likely to take a long-haul trip (when upgrades are nice) with *A carriers. I'd usually go with UA as far as they can take me and, if necessary, I'd switch to a regional *A carrier for short connections.

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In SkyTeam, some but not all airlines participate in the SkyTeam upgrade program where you can use miles to upgrade a flight operated by a partner (SkyTeam member) carrier. It requires a FULL Y fare and there are rules about codeshares, etc. You call the airline whose miles you wish to do to arrange the upgrade, if available, which often requires saver award inventory for the upgrade.

There are also some bilateral upgrade arrangements that don't necessarily require full Y fares but still expensive coach fares and still book into saver award inventory in general. Examples include using DL miles for AF/KLM upgrades.

At least currently, you can upgrade AS and "domestic" DL flights if you have elite status on DL and AS respectively, although these have lower priority than upgrades for the carrier's own elites and their companions.

So far there aren't upgrade possibilities between DL and Virgin Atlantic/Australia.

gregm likes this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always seem compelled to add that those full Y fares can sometimes be more than a discounted F or J fare.

blackjack-21 likes this.