Upgrading on partner airlines

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by OceanBreezes, Nov 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an award ticket on 3 different airlines: AA, BA and Iberia in business/first. I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to switch this to a paid ticket with mileage just for the upgrades?

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    correct me if wrong, perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean by 'switch', but don't you have to put back the miles into your account and simply price out a ticket for the itin you want?

OceanBreezes likes this.
  3. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you asking can you purchase the Y and J fares and upgrade to Y-J and J-F with miles and co-pay? The buckets for upgrades are not all the same as the award buckets, for example Z and U do not equal A and C on AA. In any case, if the upg bucket you are looking for is available for these flights you would need to, as Sweet Willie indicated, have your award redeposited and purchase the ticket, then apply the upg and co-pay. Reminder, just because you return an award bucket does automatically create an opening in that same upg bucket on your flights.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, you can technically do this, but not cheaply. Depending on whether you're an EXP, you'd face a $150 fee for redepositing the miles into your account. Also, to upgrade on BA or IB you need to purchase full fares, which means your ticket will most likely be very expensive. You can upgrade from lower fare buckets on AA but you'd end up having a co-pay, so again, more $$$.

• Full Fare Economy are published fares booked in Y or B (excluding Military or Government fares)
    • Full Fare Premium Economy are published fares booked in W on British Airways
    • Full Fare Business are published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways
    Here's a link to AA's partner upgrade chart for mileage required on BA/IB: LINK.

The link to AA's own upgrade chart for copay and mileage amounts: LINK.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  5. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for the info. I called the EXP phone line and there is no upgrade availability, but now I know for the next time that if I need the elite qualifying miles and I want to fly business class that I should evaluate pricing for the possibility of buying coach and upgrading with miles.