Upgrading on BA (Booked on AA.com)

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Efilon87, Feb 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a MR LAX- LHR-JNB-LHR-LAX (AA 136/137; AA 6445/6444) on AA.com. The LHR-JNB-LHR flight is operated by BA. I have about 60k UR points I can transfer to BA, but before I transfer those points, I wanted to know how to upgrade from Y to J (or next cabin) on BA using Avios. Thank you!!

~Efilon87

2. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    All flights booked in O.

3. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, it is going to be a tough situation:

1) You can't upgrade the LAX-LHR operated by AA with BA Avios because it wasn't booked and issued by BA. You can verify by checking if ticket is AA issued - ticket number starts with 001###.... vs a BA issued ticket that starts with 125###...

2) You can't upgrade the LHR-JNBs segments operated by BA with BA Avios because it wasn't booked through BA either.

You're only upgrade potential is to do AA's miles+copay option on the LAX-LHR AA segments using AA miles (if you have them).

You would have been able to upgrade LHR-JNB if it was full fare Y or B, but that ticket would cost $$$$$ instead of being a MR. Not worth it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    daninstl and Efilon87 like this.
  4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just corrected some factual problems in my above statement and added some details.

There is also a small chance of a walk up upgrade for cash on day of departure that you might get or the very limited potential of an operational upgrade if you have any status on BA or AA.

5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, for upgrades on the AA part, if you don't have the miles, maybe you have an EXP friend who can give you a SWU. Also, if you're leaving to LAX-LHR-JNB before Feb 28, 2014 there are people with expiring SWUs that are giving them away.

6. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, forgot to mention I am an EXP with SWUs to use, so the LAX-LHR leg is covered :). Fingers crossed that the upgrade clears. Its still sitting at J7, but then again my flight isn't until the end of April...

7. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yah, would never book Y or B for a MR. Then again, unless a business were paying for it, I would never book Y or B for any trip...Well here's to hopin' that I get a decent cash upgrade deal or an operational upgrade for LHR-JNB-LHR at the airport. If not, there's always Tylenol PM. :D

8. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And, hypothetically speaking, is WT+ worth the upgrade cost for money/avios? Isn't it just Y+, same food, just a little more legroom.

@ballardFlyer Thanks for your help and insight!!

9. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    WT+ is more than just a little more legroom. This is a true premium economy product, unlike the extra legroom rows in US airlines' economy cabins. WT+ is a different seat with more width; it's a smaller, quieter, calmer separate cabin; it's got main courses for the main meal taken from the Club menu; it's got additional baggage allowance; it's earns heaps more Avios and Tier Points than O class discount economy; statistically, it offers a higher chance of an operational upgrade if the flight needs the same number of people rolled foward from cabin to cabin; you can upgrade any normal cash WT+ ticket to CW using Avios (unlike WT to WT+ upgrades which are limited only to Y, B or sometimes H class tickets); etc etc etc.

Whether it's worth it depends on how much the upgrade costs, of course, and also on your own attitude towards spending extra money/Avios/miles for a better travel experience.

Efilon87, philatravelgirl and anileze like this.
  10. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well it does seem I can upgrade my BA segments if I reissue my ticket into Y/B/W, which is about another $5,000. Which for a MR, isn't going to happen. Fingers crossed there is a good upgrade offer when I check in at LHR...:)

Thanks for all your help and insight!!

11. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't that basically what it says here?

12. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmmm, so it does. :rolleyes: