Upgrading Mileage Plus Visa w/50-60K Bonus Miles?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by FlyingFree, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    My girlfriend was recently solicited by mail for (and has since received) a United Mileage Plus Visa Signature with either a 50,000 or 60,000 (I’ve forgotten which) miles bonus after spending $250, and 3x miles on all United purchases.

I’ve got a old United Mileage Plus Visa Platinum Business….has anyone tried changing or upgrading this card and getting a similar mileage bonus?

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you apply for the personal card, you should have no problem getting the bonus (that assumes, of course, that you have not had the personal card in a few years).

Good luck.

FlyingFree likes this.
  3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had once applied for a UA Mileage Plus card but canceled it before using it.

I have recently gotten the 50k offer, applied and got denied (but never received the notice) so I called to find out the status, was told that I was declined and asked why... after a few more questions they approved my card (turns out I had too many recent dings on my credit score... AA MC, BA, Visa, CO, UA inquiries, you get the idea) So now I'm using my UA Visa and the miles already credited rather quickly.

4. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Why not get the Continental card now and then the UA card later? The Continental card application will only last for probably a few more months. There is a current 50K offer for the Continental card and the Continental miles will become UA miles in the near future.

6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the current CO 50K offer is good through the end of April. There should be time to apply for both. Personally I think the MP card has better benefits.

7. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have the Continental card, so they probably won't let me apply for another one!

8. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the CO card for 6 months and then I added the UA card (and got 50k miles)

9. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your Mileage Plus member there should be the card listed in the Related links from your profile on the left hand corner.

10. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have a link to a 50k United offer?

11. jstn

jstn Active Member

Status Points:
    I believe that offer has expired. I tried calling mileage plus and chase and they wouldn't offer me the promotion

12. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone had success getting any bonus miles for adding an additional cardholder to your account? I've been holding off getting my wife my Chase UA Visa Signature, since when I got our SPG AmEx, I was able to grab some additional points for adding her after the fact. Thanks!

CLG

13. The link is UnitedSelectCard .com. The offer expires 4/18/11. I believe that in order to get the card you have to receive an "invite" in the mail. To those that are thinking about applying for the CO card now and the UA card later it looks like they both expire about the same time.