Upgrading from D fare to F using UA/MP SWUs

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Canadi>n, Mar 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I'm more interested in procedure, posting here rather than in the UA forum.

A couple of weeks ago I gifted a pair of my SWUs to a friend so he could upgrade an eligible class biz fare to an F seat on Tuesday on two flights. He was wait listed but even after award space on one flight was released almost two weeks ago. IIRC both upgrades and awards come from the same O inventory, so my friend should have been confirmed on at least one of those flights. Yet neither upgrade has cleared (flights show F6 and F3 today). I realize my friend would fall behind any M&M elites requesting upgrades, but on at least one of the flights he's unlikely to have much competition. Any reason why at least the F6 flight upgrade has not cleared?

Also, I understand the upgrade wait list disappears at 10 hours prior to flight. Does that mean my friend will no longer have any standing for an upgrade if he isn't cleared by then, and the flight(s) still has F seats upon departure?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    SWU upgrades don't come from the I or O buckets, I don't think. So that's possibly part of why it didn't clear.

Correct.

3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification/confirmation.

4. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes this why the electronic system is a bad deal. In the paper era, LH won't clear upgrades to F until three hours before departure.