Upgrading From Aisle

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by photog72, Nov 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. photog72
    Original Member

photog72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a Emerald Club base member. I need a minivan for an upcoming rental. If I book a midsize and a minivan is available, what is the rate I would be charged if I took the minivan? I know that if I want a minivan, I have to reserve it to guarantee it (Emerald Reserve). What is this fee - (1) Upgrade - Time & Distance ($17.00/Rental)?

2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the minivan is in the Emerald Aisle you will be charged for what you reserved. So if you reserved a midsize you'd pay for a midsize. If the minivan is elsewhere then you will be charged the minivan rate which could be a whole lot more. It's hard to know in advance what's available but if it's a popular location people here or on flyertalk may be able to tell you what was available recently.

The actual upgrade charge varies by location and demand. It's not a fixed thing AFAIK.

3. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spend a little too much time in the Aisle -- and sometimes in a Dodge Grand Caravan from National -- but can say that the minivans tend to be in the Executive Elite aisle, with compact/midsized SUV's much more prevalent in the Emerald Aisle.

If the upgrade cost is $17 total for the minivan you need, that might be the avenue to explore.

4. photog72
    Original Member

photog72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually rent in BOS. Taking the kids to visit mom-in-law. I used to see the minivans in EA. More and more, I've seen them in EE. I used to be Exec Elite. In this case, I priced out a midsize, and it came to $152.50. The minivan came out to $237.50. All before taxes (and using my contract ID from work). I would assume they would just charge the difference.

What's interesting, is that the price quoted is $237.50 for the rental. The $17 is an upgrade fee. I don't know what this fee is for. I thought I was paying for a minivan, and everything was included (except for taxes and optional services/fees).

5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, important bit of info there! If you are using a contract ID from your work then the details are in that contract -- most of the normal rate rules don't apply. The work contract could specify, for example, the negotiated rates are good for up to a full-size car and there is an upgrade fee for SUVs and minivans. It might be interesting to price it out using other contract IDs to see what the difference is though that sounds like a decent rate for a minivan in BOS.

photog72 likes this.
  6. photog72
    Original Member

photog72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I will check the contract rate for my wife's work and see what that brings up.

7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or just Google "National Car Rental Discount Codes". You're sure to find a dozen or so you are qualified to use. You'll also find plenty you are NOT qualified for and probably should not use.

photog72 likes this.
  8. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    When this happens to me, I book both and when I get to the booth just give them the reservation number for the cheaper one if I found what I wanted on the aisle. Some locations will give you really good deals on upgrades in person though so you never know. I've been given what I wanted with no charge some times and paid for it in full others.