Upgrading Flagship transcons

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Canadi>n, Sep 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a newbie I have just used one of my eVIPs to upgrade a JFK-LAX Flagship transcon from coach to business. In checking my reservation, I see the fare code now reads C instead of my original coach booking code. I thought an upgraded fare code would be R, or is this just the case for two-cabin planes? Is this correct, or did the agent by mistake put me into a full revenue C class? Also, noted that my fare went from $400 to $0 on the updated res. Is this normal too?

2. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    All normal. C is the business upgrade code for a three class plane. This is exactly as my eVIPs for three-class DFW-NRT went, so no need to be concerned! Enjoy the ride!

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Were the upgrade prospects that grim that you burned a SWU on this? Not a horrible use of a SWU but most people try to get these as freebies.

4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Thought AA might use some other code for upgraded business.

5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't want to take any chances. And since I'll have 15 more eVIPs to play with next year I don't consider it a waste of a credit.

zphelj likes this.
  6. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    The business class revenue fare buckets on AA are J, D, I. C is the Miles/SWU Upgrade bucket. Domestically R is the sticker upgrade bucket. Internationally R is a revenue bucket.

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice!

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    15 more?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

9. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could be 7 expiring 28FEB2013, and 8 expiring 28FEB2014. That's exactly the boat I am in.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense. I keep forgetting that American's expire at the end of the membership year, not 12 months from accrual. I'm sitting at 95-98K in AAdvantage, right now, because I don't "need" to re-qualify yet (working on my AS status again right now, so only longer flights where I care about the upgrade are going to AA)... but had it in the back of my mind it was 12 months on SWU's. As it stands it could be up to two years if you earned them in January of this year.

11. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is exactly the boat I'm in.

12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for explaining the codes. It's been a while since I left the AA fold (when CP folded into AC and took me into the STAR universe) so getting myself reacquainted with the minutia of such matters. Though still puzzled why the fare went to $0?

As for the 15 eVIPs...was status matched and flew 30K+ EQMs by the end of last month so received 8 (which expire at the end of February 2014, not 2013) last week. I expect when I re-qualify for ExecPlat 2013/14 in December, I will receive another 8 with that same expiry. And no, I have no plans to "trade" them...I've made a practice of gifting any "surplus" UA CR1s and SWUs, and AC eUpgrade credits, to friends and family members so will continue the practice with my AA credits. However, I do hope to be using most of them on my own future international flights over the next 17 months.

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ones you earn this year should expire in Feb 2014, correct. Since you earned the earlier ones this year, they expired then, too.

I'm still a little miffed that status matchers got 16 SWU's while the best I can do is 8... but I've still got two left this year and haven't re-qualed yet (will next month, have been holding off), so I can't really BITCH.

14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    To an extent I do sympathize with you, though the 8 we got were intended to be equivalent to what would have been part of the ExecPlat package had we earned it last year (getting the Full Monty was a very generous move on AA's part). I don't feel that I've usurped anything a "true" ExecPlat would have been entitled to since I actually flew AA for several months to earn mine, including a number of international flights in coach. Then again, there are hundreds (thousands?) who got their 8 eVIPs without having to have stepped foot on an AA plane...and many of those status matchers have not flown AA and have been flogging their eVIPs on the exchange fora here and over on FT.

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you're exactly right - I understand it and agree. I'm actually personally glad you got to use them. I don't fault AA for building a stronger airline, and I don't fault switchers for taking advantage. I have to admit, even though I don't need them, I'd consider a match to another airline offering something similar... and I'd use them only until my perks were used up. Then again, I'm happy with AA... so I have no reason to want to go somewhere else.

16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can swing 125k EQP, you can get 4 more, right? (via Elite Rewards)

Sent from my iPod Touch using milepoint

17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be lucky to cross 45K EQP. I'm under 37K EQP @ 95K EQM and 92 segments today.