Upgrading award tickets

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Dixhill, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Dixhill

Dixhill Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I flying RDU-EWR-BCN on award tickets in 5 weeks. Is it worth to upgrade to economy plus and how much should I expect to pay? What is the best time to do it? Thanks!

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    What airline? Many airlines allow you to purchase the premium economy (extra room same seat) seats in the seat selection interface. For example Alaska and United. If the economy plus is a different product with different/better seats that may not option.

The best time to select your seats is at booking or just after, then also the days leading up to departure as status fliers are upgraded and give up slightly better economy or premium economy seats. It doesn’t help you but Alaska allows you to select exit row seats for free at checkin.

3. Dixhill

Dixhill Silver Member

Status Points:

4. Dixhill

Dixhill Silver Member

Status Points:
    United.

5. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    With UA, you will be able to select E+ by segment. Personally, I would not worry about the short RDU-EWR segments. Expect the EWR-BCN segments to be $100+ per seat each way.

You can log in right now and select the seats (and see the fees) for E+. Once you have paid for the seats, you can change, perhaps with an additional fee if the seat I'd "better" as you get closer to flight time.

Sent from my LG-M322 using InsideFlyer mobile app

iolaire likes this.
  6. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    ETA... I set my $100+ based on my recent experience from mainland-Hawaii, as well as some of the observations I have overheard when folks want to self-upgrade on the flight (ABQ-ORD was $80 for an exit-row aisle last fall!) You'll get a better sense when you actually go to united.com and hover over the seats to see the prices.

Exit-row aisle and windows tend to be the most expensive followed by Exit-row middle, E+ aisles, E+ windows, and then E+ middles.

Best wishes on a great trip.

7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    great info from @misman so now read the documentation on Economy Plus and decide if a little extra legroom is worth the $200+/couple for the long hall flight. Or alternatively would you rather have one or more good dinners for that $200?
    https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/products/travelproducts/Pages/EconomyPlus.aspx

Regardless make sure you get "good" seats for you and your wife in advance, free or paid, as soon as possible. For example if the window seats are in blocks of 3 and the flight looks open I reserve the window and the isle and hope the middle seat is not filled (if it is filled we have the choice of the two seats closest to the window or isle). Regardless I try not to get seats the large block of seats in the middle between the two isles.

In recent history I've paid once for seat assignments and that was on SA flights to South Africa where I could not select seats in advance without paying something like $80 round trip. I choose to pay since by paying in advance I could get window seats in a 2 * ? * 2 layout so we had two private seats.

8. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will add more from my Hawaii trip.

We were hoping for the UP (willing to pay) on the way back, but I had seats (a 757 is 3x3in Y) that were a couple of rows behind the wing, and selected window & aisle, leaving the middle open. My theory is that no couple/family really wants to be split up into separate rows, so this would be the last to be self-selected.

Up through boarding, I was *sure* that someone would eventually grab that middle seat, at which point my wife or I would offer to switch so we were beside each other. It never happened, and we had one of two empty seats on the 757.

iolaire likes this.