upgrading at check-in earns miles?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by riceoven, Aug 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always been curious, if you do one of the $ upgrades at checkin on the mobile app or at the kiosk, what fare class does your ticket turn into? If you paid for an upgrade from a paid economy to first class, would you get the first class 1.5x EQMs? If you paid for an upgrade from an award economy ticket to first class, would you earn miles?

8MiHi and Newscience like this.
  2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends. I've had a few cases where it posted as a discounted first class fare, with the bonuses. And, in that case, PQDs were calculated including the upgrade cost.

But, more often than not, it has posted with no bonuses and the upgrade cost wasn't included in the PQD calculation.

I don't know all the details of how UA's systems decide which way to handle it. I will say the cases where I got the bonus were ones where the upgrade was a lot more expensive than in the cases where I was not given any bonus or PQD credit.

IDGflygirl, 8MiHi and Newscience like this.
  3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the handful of occasions that I have upgraded this way (at check-in or before) I have gotten the extra PQMs. I have a flight coming up in October (EWR-MCO) where I upgraded for $18 and it changed my fare to a P fare. P fares are listed with the higher PQM earn. I am anxious to see if I get the extra miles (I expect to) since I would have anticipated an easy CPU in the past. UAs pushing of these types of upgrades makes me believe that CPUs will be rarer and rarer. Getting the extra PQMs makes me feel a tiny little bit better about that.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The policy historically has been that an up-fare outside the OLCI window would earn at the new rate based on the fare while anything done during OLCI or at a kiosk would earn at the original purchase rate. With the current approach which offers cheaper buy-ups from time to time rather than a fare difference I'm not so sure that the above is still the way it is programmed, but I'd expect not to get the bonus and be pleased if you do.

ssullivan, 8MiHi and blackjack-21 like this.
  5. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I paid $49 bucks to upgrade a flight the other day and it gave me 1.5 the segs and the miles.... I've never had that happen before.

My original fare class wasn't B or Y, so I was pleasantly surprised.

8MiHi likes this.
  6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought an upgrade yesterday on LAX-CLE. Will let you know how it posts - my ticket changed to a P fare and it was purchased during the check-in process.

IDGflygirl and desamo like this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have experienced both on upgrades at check-in. I am pretty sure that it depends (mostly?) on whether the upgrade offered actually moves one into the next booking class, or is a discounted TOD offer. That said, I did a TOD UG at booking recently which was deeply discounted (I had looked at business before booking economy), but it posted as a P class in both directions. IME, it's always a mystery until it books or posts into a given class.

8MiHi likes this.
  8. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My TOD upgrade on last Friday's LAX-CLE flight posted as a P fare. I got all the normal P fare bonus stuff, which was a nice surprise.

It doesn't always work that way.

Flyer1976 likes this.