Upgrading an Award ticket from I to F

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by csjohns7, Sep 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. csjohns7

csjohns7 Member

Status Points:
    Hello all,
    I have a quick question and I can't seem to get a straight anwser out of United.
    I am booked my Honeymoon using United points a while back.
    The trip is next month and some first class availability is starting to open up on some of these flights.
    So my question is can I use more miles to upgrade from my business tickets to first?
    My Itinerary is:
    10/22 - DCA-ORD-HKG (UA / ANA)
    11/6 - SIN-FRA-IAD (LH / UA)
    The inter-Asia flights are on a separate ticket.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would have to change the award ticket from a Biz award to a First award. The additional miles must come from the same account which initially issued the award. And, depending on status, there may be a fee associated with the change.

If you have the new flight that you want to change to just call in and ask them to change that segment and it should re-price correctly.

3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately LH F award seats now don't open until a week or so prior to the flight. If it's possible to rebook your flights as two one-way awards, keep the return and consider upgrading it separately when LH space opens, have the outbound reissued in F if that's the space that's opened up now. I find one-ways more flexible considering there's no net difference in the number of miles required.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why the need to split/re-issue it?? Any segment can be changed without touching the others. And there are some very real reasons that a single award is more useful than two when it comes to changes and routing options.