Upgrading a pre-Avios reservation - Is it possible?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Toula, Jan 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trying to save myself a phone call to BA.

I made a reservation before the switch to Avios for a booking SFO-HKG-BKK on CX in Business Class. Silly me, don't know what I was thinking as knowing myself I should have realised I am too addicted to First to want to fly anywhere else.

Anyway I would like to upgrade the redemption to First Class. I am assuming this would be at current redemption rates rather than pre-Avios rates. Has anyone encountered this situation and if so what is the answer?

Many thanks.

2. FlyIce

FlyIce Silver Member

Status Points:
    [of course] If there's availability and if you have enough Avios, you can try calling them on the phone.

I'm just uncertain that a redemption ticket can be upgraded. Before or after Avios I believe is not relevant.
    If you can't upgrade, you'll probably discover that CX J is not that bad ;)

Toula likes this.
  3. eae

eae Silver Member

Status Points:
    There have been reports about BA using the old rules for pre-avios bookings, allowing date changes on existing bookings without charging the new mileage rate. Whether that still holds for upgrades I do not know. You'll probably have to call to find out :|

Toula likes this.
  4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the responses. Something tells me I should stop being such a princess and suck it up. It's not as if J in CX is any kind of punishment. The difference in points would fund 5 domestic trips in Oz which are quite expensive.

5. eae

eae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point, and if you are on the 747 you might be able to get a seat on the upper deck as a consolation prize.

Toula likes this.
  6. G-BOAC
    Original Member

G-BOAC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just call them. I know now of at least 2 people who have upgraded CX J to F at the old prices, on pre-Avios awards.

Globaliser likes this.