Upgrading a P Fare/Int'l Discount Business

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by DCA1K, Aug 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I am confused... The website says that you can't upgrade P fares to F (or whatever the bucket is for upgraded F), but my reservation seems to permit me to apply a GPU or 20,000 miles and $550. Has anyone played that game of roulette, yet? There is currently no award or upgrade space on the flight but I am trying to figure out if the GPU can be used this way.

Thanks!

2. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    To add more detail, this is from the website:

"They can be used on all paid, published fares except Z, P, S, T, K, L, G and N fare classes, for upgrades from United Economy®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst® to the next higher cabin on most long-haul international flights."

Further on the same page (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/swupgrades.aspx) it says, "*Fare class structure for Global Premier Upgrades, in priority order, is J, C, D, Z, P (for upgrades from United Business to United First® or United BusinessFirst to United Global FirstSM on three-cabin aircraft) and Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N (for upgrades from United Economy Plus® to the next class of service on all aircraft). Note that on some flights, Global Premier Upgrades are not available for fare classes Z, P, S, T, K, L, G, and N."

So, on what flights are GPUs available from Z, P, etc? I thought Z was now fully upgradeable using GPUs...

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only those where RPUs work, too.

Nope.

My guess is that the situation you're seeing with the reservation which will upgrade is just because they haven't programmed the website correctly, not because the rules have changed.

4. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, WA. That makes as much sense as anything.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you actually tried to apply the GPU or miles+money? It could also be that the system has not been programmed to recognize ineligible fare classes until you actually try to upgrade. Z is definitely not upgradable and I suspect that the other excepted fares also are not...

6. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to do it unless I can also upgrade my partner to First, and at this point, it's not confirmable.