Upgrading a Flight

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by y2kdread, Nov 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

I am flying tomorrow from DFW - PHL on a rewards ticket booked through BA. I was looking on AA's site and I noticed that their are still First Class tickets available.

Is there any option to upgrade my tickets at a affordable price?

Thanks!

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You could see if they offer you an upgrade for $$$ when you check in (LFBU).

3. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    DestinationDavid:

Is this something they would do if you check in online or at a Kiosk - or would it be best to checking with an agent.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's kiosk only. Its offered from time to time but I wouldn't count on it. Seats might go to someone with IRROPs or upgraders.

5. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    Ok - thanks for the advice!

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't know BA's program at all, but do you have the option to change your award? Not sure award space is available but also an option if BA allows it.

7. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't see anything for rewards when I search their site, but I'll give them a call and ask.

8. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general mileage redemption tickets can't be upgraded. You'd need to cancel the existing reservation and book a new one in first class using miles. DFW-PHL is likely to have a lot of AA elites on the upgrade waiting list (paid economy pax.) I'd give very low odds that FC will have any vacant chairs when the plane pushes back.

Titans26 and PHCaswell like this.
  9. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought LFBU was only allowed on award tickets for AA elites. Since the OP believes "signatures are for chumps" and does not list his status in his signature as you and I do, we don't know if (s)he is an AA elite or not.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True, I was making an assumption. Forget that not everyone has status sometimes.

11. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lol, "signatures are for chumps.". I'm sure the OP just hasn't had a chance to add his signatures. I will take the time and add my signatures this weekend.

12. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Related - and apologies if I am drifting off topic - but assuming one is an elite, does it matter whether or not you check in online or at a physical kiosk at the airport? Put another way, has an elite traveling on a coach award ticket been offered a buy-up to First when checking in online?

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LFBU is kiosk only. Some stations overseas offer upgrades for a fee by posting a sign during check in I've also heard. No upgrade for cash options online yet.

14. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Early in the program that allowed elites to upgrade coach awards, I was offered a LFBU on a coach award by a check-in agent. Later, when I asked about getting an upgrade on another award, I was told by the agent that it was not possible, I went to the kiosk, got the upgrade, and returned to the same agent to check my bags.
    As far as I know, it isn't possible online.

15. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since the answer to many questions is different depending on status, putting status in signatures prevents the helpful member answering from having to answer with "If you are EXP, the answer is X. If you are Plat or Gold, the answer is Y. If you have no status, the answer is Z". Putting status in the signature line (the only place it is easily visable on MP, AFAIK) is only a polite way to help those you are asking to help you. Deliberately not putting it there is, IMO, a slap in the face to those who are trying to help you. YMMV.

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True & agreed, but at the same time I could have stopped watching TV while responding and paid attention a bit more myself. ;)

17. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    We all appreciate the time and effort you put into answering questions here on this forum.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  18. ExpatExp

ExpatExp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I hadn't realized that. I suppose I don't pay too much attention to rules for non-elites :D

Yes. These are called International Airport Upgrades. As you mentioned, they are not available domestically, and only a few foreign locations offer them:

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I always forget what the name is! I knew they were different then LFBU though they often appear to be in the same family since they appear during airport check-in. Might be good info to add to the Flyerguide page on Upgrades.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I respect your posts and always enjoy your contributions and perspective. Always very even handed and lacking in the unreasonable department.

20. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    I didn't mean to offend you with my signature, but I don't have anything in it because I don't have status ranking with any carrier. I only travel for pleasure and never really get the opportunity to travel with work or the other good ways to get status.

I'll delete my signature to ensure I don't offend anyone in the future.

21. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't offended at all. It's just that status (or lack of it) can change the answer to so many questions, it's helpful to know what status the poster has (if any) so we can craft an answer that responds to the needs of that member. Your current signature is perfect, but feel free to add something humorous if you care to. Thanks.

My wife and I do not travel for work at all, yet we are both EXPs on AA.:)

22. y2kdread
    Original Member

y2kdread Active Member

Status Points:
    gemac,

How do you go about getting status without flying much? Do you do that mainly through credit card purchases?

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    gemac didn't say he didn't fly, he said he didn't fly for work. ;)

Like me, he probably qualifies for his status almost exclusively on personal travel to see family or see the world.

With regards to credit card purchases, for the most part, this is not going to get you status on AA. With the exception of the newly introduced Citibank AAdvantage card, you do not get elite qualifying miles (EQM) for credit card purchases, and even this new card caps you to 10,000 EQM per year. So a card holder would still need to fly 90,000 EQM within the qualifying year to get EXP status (or lower levels for GLD or PLT).

AA also offers lifetime status at the GLD and PLT level which previously could be reached with credit card spending, but that will change on Dec 1 (with the exception of the aforementioned newly introduced Citibank card). There is no lifetime EXP status, so I'm willing to bet gemac and his wife spend quite a bit of time on planes.

24. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    You cannot get EXP status with credit card purchases. My wife and I like to travel, both to see friends and to enjoy sightseeing. This year, we joined friends in London for playgoing, went to Switzerland to see the Matterhorn in winter, went to Shanghai for sightseeing, went to California for a friend's 80th birthday, went to New York for the wedding of a friend, went to Cape Cod to see old friends, and made several trips to Maui to enjoy the beach. Add it all up, and you have 100,000 miles. We spend about $6,000 per year per person on airfare, and plan on doing so every year. That allows us to act like jet-setters, flying across the country to attend a party or to go ice skating at Rockefeller Center just for fun. Other people have other hobbies that they spend money on, we spend it on flying.

We do use some whacky routings to push ourselves over 100K miles, because we prefer riding in the front of the plane. For example, when we went to London, we went from Maui. We had been in Maui for three days when we left and flew to London. This seemed a bit odd to many of our friends, but we were going to be in Maui about that time anyway, and it was only about $200 more to go from Maui than from St. Louis, but was 9,000 EQM more.

Many people think we are nuts to fly so much. They always fly in the back of the plane, and without status. We've done that, and it is pretty unpleasant. When we decided we wanted to see a bunch of things, we decided to fly in premium cabins at deep discount coach prices. It takes some planning, but it makes flying much more tolerable.

ExpatExp and DCtrAAveler like this.