Upgrading a domestic segment of an international itinerary with CO

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by haavares, Nov 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. haavares

haavares Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made a somewhat special request to CO today and I thought i'd share the experience. On an upcoming trip to the US in W, I'm entering the country with SK, and flying domestic with CO. Since I live abroad, I'm not elite at CO, however I upgraded the SK legs with SAS.

Now, I wanted to uprade one of the CO legs using some stray OnePass points. The problem was: the upgrade system is designed for upgrading a full one-way part of the trip. This incurs a 550 $ co-pay since it's a discounted ticket and includes an international segment. However, the international segment being SK, it's not upgradeable using OnePass anyway.

When calling OnePass, I was told the co-pay would be 550 $ for the single segment. When confronted with the fact that a domestic reward upgrade in W normally incurs 75 $ co-pay, the friendly lady at OnePass found a way to manually upgrade the segment for 75 $. The process took almost 40 minutes on the phone which she spent finding a way to manually do this, but eventually came through.

Thanks OnePass!

Flyer1976 likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear that the OPSC did something that should have been done regardless... Enjoy! and what segment did you upgrade on?

3. haavares

haavares Silver Member

Status Points:
    SFO-EWR. Getting some rest on the way home makes all the difference.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed...did it clear or waitlist?

5. haavares

haavares Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's waitlisted, however there are only 6 seats reserved in F, so I guess I'll see. Do you know if there's a way to view the length of a waitlist?