Upgrading a Bulk Fare

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bkwhoppa66, Mar 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bkwhoppa66

bkwhoppa66 Active Member

Status Points:
    India keeps telling me that it's not possible to upgrade a bulk fare with miles or even put me on the wait list to upgrade. Is this the truth or is this simply reading what's on the computer screen? They keep on trying to send me back to United Vacations although United Vacations insists they don't handle upgrades.

Just to give details, the ticket is in the U fare class and I was already able to successfully upgrade one leg of the trip using CR-1's.

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it is true that the bulk fares generally cannot be upgraded. It is included in the fine print here. The bigger question is whether the United Vacations ticket is considered a bulk fare or not. The fare class alone doesn't determine that one way or the other.

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I worked for Classic Vacations (a wholesaler), we had non-upgradeable contract fares in the usual fare classes, e.g., T, S, W, etc. If we sold non-contract air, we had to collect the full fare immediately (rather than 45 days prior to departure on Hawaii routes), but it was upgradeable.

I'm not sure it was obvious to customers what fare class they were booked in for contract air, but us res people knew.

I'd imagine United's somewhat similar, though they obviously have more capacity for contract air.

PhlyingRPh and Wandering Aramean like this.