Upgrades out of YYZ

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by chef4u, May 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm AA Gold and will be flying YYZ to MIA and backJust curious what my chances of an upgrade would be, based on others experiences. I have 6 x 500 mile upgrades at my disposal as well.

2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    You won't get a firm answer here, perhaps only speculation. IME, YYZ is a moderately (but not impossible) difficult upgrade (but I have never done it to/from MIA). What plays big in your case is day of the week and time of day your flight leaves.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure you're going to have to use some of those if you want the upgrade. Chances of getting it without any supporting instrument (e500s/miles) are very, very slim. You'd be betting on an OpUp there and those just aren't very common.

4. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've requested upgrades using the 500 mile 'instrument' in my account. I guess I won't know until 24 hrs out. I doubt that I will get status next year, so using them when possible seems the prudent thing to do.

5. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    day and time dependent is key. Connections to South America can fill up the J cabin, especially to destinations where AC is weak. The shorter haul flights out of YYZ (LGA/JFK/ORD) have generally been relatively easy upgrades.