Upgrades on Same Flight #, 2 flights

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by SFOtoORD, Dec 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am doing an international trip that starts with a 2 cabin domestic flight and continues on as a 3 cabin international flight. I am booked in C, so obviously I'm covered on the 2 cabin segment. My question is how the C>F upgrade will work on the second segment since I'm already in the domestic F cabin on the first segment.

Also, once I'm at day of departure I believe all these segments clear individually. However, which upgrade queue takes priority inside of 24 hours. Can you clear off of either upgrade list?

Oh, and yes, I already know that these same flight number flights suck. No choice in this case.

AZjohn likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems to me that all the standard rules for upgrades apply and, for all practical purposes, the domestic and intl segments can be treated as having different flight #. The domestic flight is no issue because you will be flying in F. For the Intl segment and transition to a 3-cabin flight, you will be waitlisted as usual until your UG clears (I assume you put down an SWU or miles).

In a couple of weeks I am doing LGA->ORD in a 2-cabin flight, which will connect to a flight of a different number to do ORD->HKG in a 3-cabin. The ticket booking class is Y and I used a SWU to request UGs for the entire outbound itinerary. Both segments have already cleared, but they did so individually: 2-cabin Y->NC and 3-cabin Y->NC. They cleared in that order but I supposed the intl segment could just as well have cleared first.

I am confused.... You are booked in C, so, therefore, for the 2-cabin domestic flight you will be automatically in F, right? With that flight effectively out, you have only one upgrade queue to worry about: the C to NF in the 3-cabin intl flight...right?

3. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    The issue is that my ticket is booked SFO-XXX, but my travel is SFO-YYY-XXX. Just trying to figure out how they clear the advance upgrades when its booked this way and SFO-YYY is domestic 2-cabin on a C fare.

4. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sound like you know already that both flights need to have NC/NF availability at the same time for you to have confirmed UG.
    This took me several fustrating trips to not clear to figure out. Several people then informed me of the golden rule "never book muti-segment flights with the same flight number". I understand sometimes this can't be helped, and I was also hopeing the UA would someday work on their unfair practise and at lease UG people if one of the segments has UG space.
    I wish you much better luck then I ever had;)
    John