Upgrades on Reward Stays-Family suites

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by jralexander14, Nov 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jralexander14

jralexander14 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I searched around and haven't found much on this:I was wondering if anyone has any experience on being upgraded to a family or kid suite when booking a lower category room with points? I am a Platinum member (by way of the Chase PC card) and this summer there will be 3 kids (under the age of 3) travelling with us. The family room where the kids have their own section with twin beds or the kids suite with the bunk beds is perfect for us, but alas, not available for reward redemption. I was thinking when it's time to book I'd just call ahead of time and see what my chances are...but any advice would be helpful. I am new to the PC program so I don't have any experience thus far with upgrades. Thanks!

2. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    PC does not like upgrading reward bookings (one of its big drawbacks to many). Call ahead, see what happens, but no guarantees.

3. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is no guarantee of any benefits on reward stays with Priority Club. However most hotels will try to help you out if they have rooms available. As stated above it couldn't hurt to call or email ahead and ask about another room. And if your so inclined maybe offer to pay a little over and above to secure an upgrade if you truly must have it.

4. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny, I just posted about this experience in another thread. We stayed a couple of years ago at CP in Chicago on RN during a very busy weekend of Lollapalooza. I called the hotel in advance asking for an upgrade to a suite. And they did upon our arrival. Guaranteed? - No. But worth asking about.

5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've tried to do this at Candlewood properties in the past and the Platinum customer service people over the phone tell me they can't do the upgrade as they can't access from that end. Not sure I believe that but I have been more successful in talking the local hotel into it as my wife and I are both Platinum. Hit or miss I'd say depending on the property. Good Luck.