Upgrades on Code Share flights?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by John Woram, Feb 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suppose I know the answer to this one already, but I'm looking at a JFK/SCL round-trip on AA 7718 & AA 7666, both operated by LAN, and both are 787s. I'd like to do whatever I can do with 200,000+ miles, but I suspect the miles are worth about zero on this one. Any comments/suggestions/whatever? Thanks (I hope ;)), John

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    To the best of my knowledge one cannot use AA miles to upgrade on LAN. The fact that it a code-share only further complicates the matter.

3. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, that's about what I feared. So even though each flight has an AA flight number, accumulated miles are worth about zero. Hmmm, which is about what they're worth on AA-operated flights too. I guess my 787 experience will have to wait for another day. Oh well.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You sound unreasonably bitter about miles.

newbluesea likes this.
  6. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bitter? Absolutely. Unreasonably so? Maybe. It's just that I'm old enough to remember when miles had real value. You accumulated them, and you got the promised upgrade; no questions, no restrictions, no hoops to jump through. My first one was two Fs -- round-trip JFK/Beijing on Pan Am. Years later, the co-pay "feature" was introduced, and it seems the value has been on a steady decline ever since. Of course my frequent-flyer days are long since over, so I guess I have more of those hoops to jump through than someone who is on a plane almost every week.

whkento likes this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I'd say unreasonably. Times change and value changes (more importantly, what is the best value changes), and it seems like you are relying solely on past experience, to the exclusion of current education. It's been quite some time since upgrading with miles was the good value for anything other than business travelers on company-paid travel who could not redeem miles for the flight as an award.

It seems like you are fixated on the idea of upgrading, which is not where very many current programs have their value. Unless someone else is purchasing the ticket, you are far better off if you can redeem for the whole flight, not an upgrade. If it's too much of a hassle for you, then consider paying one of the many booking services to find and book the award for you. Adapting to what the current best values are, rather than being bitter that what used to be a good option no longer is, seems like the more prudent course of action to me.

Relative to the past, Awards cost a bit more, and availability is more limited, but there are also a lot more partners and destinations available. In-flight hard product has developed quite a bit at the top end too. We're circumnavigating the globe next month, with flat beds on all long segments and suites with doors for much of the journey, at around 150-160k/ticket. That doesn't seem like a bad deal or worthless to me. Dollars stuffed in a mattress from the same era you are referring to wouldn't go as far today as they did then.

newbluesea likes this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes .. one of the reasons why I initially neglected to respond to the OP was that I fully expected it (based on past performance ) to deteriorate into pointless circuitous discussion its trending towards. :rolleyes:

Sadly there are posters on this board and elsewhere who are just not interested in any other point of view but their own.

Using AA miles to redeem LAN awards have ever existed right?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  9. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I am. At 6'3½" I don't fit very well into an economy seat. Last month I did a JFK/EZE rt in F, followed by EZE/USH in Y -- that latter only 3+ hours, but sheer agony for me. I'm also coming into this with a chip on my shoulder: don't know if you recall my (mis-)adventures last year: I wanted a biz upgrade on my annual JFK/EZE junket, phoned the advantage desk and was told to purchase another 63,000 miles to reach the required 260,000. So I did, then called back. The agent told me that since I'd switched my departure date, I needed yet another 37,000. Needless to say I did no such thing -- even had the record locator to prove it -- and purchasing that many additional miles would take me over the annual purchase limit. So I asked for a charge card credit, which was refused. It took a letter to Ombudsman at Conde Nast traveler to "persuade" AA to do the refund. If that kind of behavior is ok with others here, then I guess I'm just out of touch these days.

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no such thing as an upgrade on AA for those amounts. It sounds like you were redeeming for an award ticket.. You could do this on LAN subject to availability. it would take 100k miles for round trip business. You cannot upgrade on LAN, but these are different things.

It sounds like you do not know what you are doing, and are very angry but will not ask for help from those who can and will help you. Instead you'd rather complain and extract a pound of flesh from AA. do yourself a favor and hire an award booking service, plus allow minor flexibility on choice of flights and dates.

newbluesea likes this.
  11. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, so there are. But I'm a quick study and I've learned my lesson -- this is no place for friendly discussions. So, I'm bailing out of here.

12. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry you dealt with some unfriendly folks. I do think you should keep using Mile Point. IMO, the atmosphere is better than FT. You could use those 200K miles on a flight marketed and operated by AA, though you will also be hit with a co-pay. Also, LAN has a credit card (offered by US Bank) that offers the equivalent to a Systemwide Upgrade, you might want to explore that if your flight is a couple of months away.

whkento and eponymous_coward like this.
  13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    And those PA miles were able to be used on completely different airlines for upgrades exactly when? Probably never, I'm guessing?

Why don't you just see if you can book an award on LA on the flights you want? If you're not a FFer, why do you care if you get EQM on AA? Why bother upgrading a flight you paid cash for instead of using the miles for an award and not spending the cash in the first place? That's the part I don't get...

14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the OP is using a different vocabulary from the rest of us, and everyone essentially talking past each other. I suspect he may mean "ppremium cabin" when talking about "uupgrades", and the whole codeshare thing could be a complete red herring with no cash ticket involved. At a minimum there'sthere's the chance of that. He needs to do business with an award booking service, I think.