Upgrades on Alaska using Delta status?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by riceoven, Jun 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've booked many Alaskan flights through Delta and managed to get confirmed upgrades before the flight - which is an awesome benefit. I am looking to fly AA with some Alaskan segments built in and wondering if there is any way to get upgraded on those by perhaps attaching my Delta Skymiles number for those segments? How does the Delta/Alaska upgrade agreement work? Is it only delta-code shares that get upgraded or can I buy a ticket straight from Alaska or thru AA and still get upgraded as long as I am crediting to Delta Skymiles? Thanks.

2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    The operating carrier should be the primary thing that matters. You won't get AA upgrades/mileage credit to DL, but you can certainly book the flights however you'd like (of course, AS upgrades are somewhat of a gamble).

CDKing likes this.
  3. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Metal is what matters. AA is not a Delta partner so you probably wont get credit for those segments even if AS coded

4. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Here's the SkyPesos rules for accruing SkyPesos with Alaska:

Mileage accrual and MQM's only apply on Alaska coded flights operated by Alaska, Horizon, PenAir, SkyWest (effective May 14th, 2011) and Delta.

CDKing likes this.
  5. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, maybe I'm not asking this correctly. Is it possible to fly AS metal not bought as a delta ticket, and be upgraded thru Delta status? I care more about the upgrade part than miles. So this can either be buying a ticket straight from Alaska, or through another codeshare from like AA. Thanks.

6. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, all that matters is that it's operated by AS.

7. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    How would I do this? just have the ticket associated with my Delta Skymiles number? Even if I bought it as an AA codeshare?

8. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I also correctly assuming that AA does not have an agreement with AS like Delta does, where their elite members are eligible for upgrades on AS metal?

9. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your assumption is correct - AS doesn't have anything comparable to EXP, which is the only complimentary upgrade tier on AA (AA won't offer free upgrades to AS mid-tier/low-tier when it doesn't for their own mid/low elites). As such, no upgrade reciprocity. With that said, AS upgrades are generally a crapshoot unless it's a short west coast route, so it's not that big of a deal personally.