Upgrades now available on AA

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by jakem4800, Jun 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    NEW INFO

You can now upgrade on AA for $30 each 500 miles of travel if you are silver, gold, or platinum preferred on us airways. What idiot would waste their money? That's $150 for an upgrade (example SEA-JFK).

Chairman members on us airways get complimentary upgrades on AA.

Us air members are going to get screwed in this process, I'm changing to Alaska airlines program!

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. No comment.

3. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm more surprised by your comment. It seems like you're not a Chairman's Preferred member, so I hope you know that the sticker system works better for you than unlimited domestic upgrades. Your upgrade chances are much higher this way since everyone isn't eligible for an upgrade.

Feel free to switch to AS' program. You won't get any upgrades on AS unless AS and AA change their upgrade policies for each others elites.

5. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there something I'm missing besides having to pay $30 for each 500 miles of travel?

6. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AS provides an automatic match to Gold

7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    You earn 4 stickers for every 10K miles you travel. Yes, you mentioned the $30 for each sticker earlier. However, as I mentioned your upgrade percentage is much higher through the sticker system. Either way since it seems like they're moving to a UDU system, you just have to deal with the sticker situation until early next year. If you can't wait then just status match to DL or UA, but depending where you live or fly often DL/UA Gold and Silver status might be worthless when it comes to upgrades.

AS provides a status match to MVP Gold but that only gets you upgrades on AS metal and DL metal (after all DL elites have been upgraded). Unless you live in the West Coast or are willing to fly Delta on very elite routes and days then don't expect upgrades with the MVP Gold status.

8. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But I'm not through AA, I'm us airways platinum preferred so I can't earn the stickers unless there's something I don't know about.

9. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then it's best to stick with US-operated flights. The same goes for AA elites, but they have an opportunity for a free upgrade after all US elites have been upgraded.

10. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For now.. But when the programs merge I won't have any "stickers" built up to use. And neither will any us airways elites platinum and under. So they will stick everyone with the $30/500 mile upgrades. I guess I can fly some more and push for chairman status?

AA offers lower fares on some routes so it's tempting to book them over US. The same went with united routes when they were star alliance although I didn't care cause I knew there was no possibility to upgrade on united. It's just kinda scummy of AA to even offer upgrades on their system with this type of BS