Upgraded from silver to gold elite

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by gobluetwo, Sep 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just received an email in my inbox this morning stating the following:

Has anyone else received this? I did have a few pricey stays (including 5 paid nights at the Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero), but only adding up to about 20 nights. My status has already been updated to Gold, and it's easy enough to do this and ensure Gold through Feb 2013.

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possibly a last minute perk before the year ends so it encourages more stays at Marriott properties?

Kalboz, gobluetwo and uggboy like this.
  3. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure that's what it is. I've been staying at Hiltons since August after my Visa Signature "3 stays for Gold through Feb 2013" promo and getting decent luck with upgrades. Easy enough for me to shift to Marriott for the remainder of the year to ensure Gold there also. I'll have to commit somewhere next year, though!

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear BW is status matching people to their highest tier :p

Kalboz, uggboy and gobluetwo like this.
  5. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, then - giddyup!!! :D

Kalboz, uggboy and Jimgotkp like this.
  6. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received a similar offer back in 2008 when my business travel was light through the summer. Since my travel was scheduled to pick back up in the fall, I quickly made the required stays and have been running with Marriott ever since. Congrats on the offer and have fun with the gold status!

It would be interesting to see whether the gifted status overrides the potential rollover nights though. For instance, you end the year w/ 48 nights which would typically give you 38 rollover nights but with the new gifted gold, you get 0. Now if you rolled 38 and quickly made 12 nights in 2012 you would have gold until 2014. In this case you essentially trade one year of future gold for 5 months of immediate. I realize the OP only has ~20 so not really an issue, but for someone who is close it might make for a bit of a predicament.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point about losing the rollover nights, but the email quoted above makes it sound like the upgraded status is a fait accompli and not something that one must formally accept. I wonder if they would take it away if someone were to insist.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not me ... but I requested this in late December 2009 and was immediately given to me on the condition that I must stay 12 nights during the next 3 months at any Marriott property worldwide. I did 17 nights within the alloted time period and I am still enjoying the benefits (until end of Feb 2012)

The only problem I have with Marriott is that they are stingy with upgrades ;)

9. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was gifted gold status last fall (Air China promo?) and ended up with 49 nights at end of the year. 39 of them rolled over, even though I closed out '10 as a gold. Mighty be different if you "qualify" with your 12 nights, but my gifted status was ignored by the rollover nights computer. YMMV

gobluetwo likes this.
  10. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Question answered! Thank you boxedlunch for the info.

11. jasonace

jasonace Member

Status Points:
    I got this offer earlier in the year it was nice to have the gold for the last 20 stays of my silver. I'm 55 nights this year now, and won't see that offer next year, but I did receive that earlier this year.

uggboy likes this.