Upgradeable Fares using Aeroplan Points

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by sunny_sc, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I looked at the Aeroplan upgrade chart (http://www2.aeroplan.com/saua/Chart.do) and it refers to booking classes "Y/B" and "C/D".

How do I search for fares that are from these classes? When I use the AirCanada interface it only shows Tango Plus, Exec First Lowest and Exec First Flexible fares. There are no Latitude fares available. At the last page before checkout, I can see that it is using an "S" fare or "W" fare.

Does this mean I have to call in to find out what the Y/B and C/D fares are for my route?

Can I use Aeroplan points to upgrade another Star Alliance member itinerary (e.g. United)?

Thanks in advance!

2. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    Y/B are Latitude. C/D fares are generally Flexible Business, and would upgrade you to First class on an airline that had it (LH or LX for example).

If there is Tango+ tickets available there are always, 100% of the time, Latitude tickets available. In the situation you are describing, it is likely that Latitude fare is more than the cost of an Exec First Lowest ticket so it is not displaying (it's an error that occurs occasionally), but it is still available if you call in.

To generalize, the AP upgrades are only available if you buy one of the most expensive Economy/Business tickets available. And given that the difference between that fare and the lowest fare in the next class of service is normally low, it will rarely be worth using the miles to upgrade.

SensFan likes this.
  3. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use your Aeroplan points to upgrade on other *A members that are part of the *A upgrade program. United is one of those carriers. These upgrades are by segment, not for your whole journey as well.

As rehoult mentions though there are very few cases where these upgrades are actually cost effective.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have a paid D fare, and want to fly F on LH/LX, then it can be interesting- not a lot of other opportunities (maybe something with P.S.?).