upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by dogcrazy, Jun 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dogcrazy
    Original Member

dogcrazy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to upgrade my co-worker's Delta flight using
    my Delta miles ? Do I need to fly with him on the same flight ?

How many miles will be needed to upgrade international flight to Japan ?

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that not all Y fares are upgradeable - must be a Y/B/M to upgrade to J.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and for domestic upgrades into FC, fares H, Q, and K are also allowed. However, there must also be upgrade with miles or SWUs inventroy available, class Z for international BE or domestic/shorter international flights marketed as business class and class G for "domestic" (includes Canada, etc.) FC.

For the record, to upgrade with miles, you don't need to be travelling but to use your SWUs for someone else, you must be travelling on the same flights and in the same (upgraded) cabin.

5. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    As pointed out, the miles number required are on DL website. However, my advice: IF (and I say IF) the PNR is upgradeable, I'd suggest you call DL and see if you can ensure the upgrade now. You may want to try expertflyer to see if there is availabilty now. If so, my advice is to call and confirm. A second considersation -- have you looked at SWU? That might be the way to go.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, SWU is not the way to go unless you are travelling on exactly the same flights as your colleague and you are already in FC or BE on these flights. SWUs are nontransferable unless you are also travelling (unlike UA's SWUs).