Upgrade with Avios at airport

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by jasher926, Sep 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade with Avios at the airport if seats are available in business (Club World) at time of check-in? Has anyone done this before?

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, this is not possible.

3. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I managed it at JFK (to LHR on BA) last year, so impossible is a bit strong. Perhaps a sliding scale from Highly Unlikely to Your Mileage Utility May Vary...

4. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should really provide some more information. Upgrades using Avios are not available at the airport. There are obvious policy reasons for this, but also practically the staff at the airport do not have access to the member's account in order to process the transaction.

Globaliser likes this.
  5. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know why staff wouldn't have access to a member's account. JAL is able to do it same day with miles...http://www.jal.com/world/en/jalmile/award/jal_up_today.html.

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had been involuntarily re-routed ex SFO to JFK on AA due to bad weather when I should have been flying SFO-ORD(AA)-LHR(BA). I asked the gate agents at JFK if I could pay to upgrade from WT+, they said no. I asked if I could use Avios (Actually, it was early 2011, so I said "miles") they were doubtful, but called BA in the UK and got it upgraded. I wasn't sure if it was an OpUp, but I checked and yes, I had been debited 12500 miles for the sector upgrade.

This one incident should in no way reflect entitlement, nor of it ever happening again, Details posted to sate curiosity only.