Upgrade w/ Miles: Technical Question on Miles Deduction

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Globetrotter, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Globetrotter

Globetrotter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming trip on CO as follows:
    GRU/EWR-o/HKG-o/EWR-o/GRU
    I used miles to upgrade and only the first sector (GRU/EWR) was available at ticketing, for which I paid 25K on the spot. I'm on a B fare, so there were no co-pay fees.
    A few days later, my account was deducted the 30K for EWR/HKG and another 30K for HKG/EWR, though both of those sectors remained waitlisted. Presumably, I would get those miles back if they don't clear. No problems there...
    The last 25K, however, were never deducted for EWR/GRU (which is also still waitlisted). I called CO to make sure that it's set up correctly and was assured more than once that it is.
    My question is: how come the last sector was not already deducted as all of the others? I wouldn't complain if I never get charged those miles, but should I be worried that my request is not properly registered on the system, contrary to what the agents assured me?
    FYI, all flights are now within the coming 3 weeks, so it's not like that last sector is still a far way off.