Upgrade to the Business Platinum Card and earn 25,000 MR pts?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Bhsu21, Apr 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Bhsu21

Bhsu21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got this in the email. Is it worth it to upgrade? Looks like 25K after first purchase. I have AMEX gold now. Or should I wait for a bigger offer like 50K or more later this year?

25,000 Membership Rewards points applies to your first purchase on the Business Platinum Card by 07/31/13 and is available for first-time upgrades to Business Platinum Card only. You are eligible to earn points for only one Card account. Additional Card members are not eligible. Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards®account 6 to 8 weeks after your first purchase. No minimum purchase required.

2. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen any better offers on a gold-->plat upgrade. I did this last year, and it was a no-brainer for me. For the $450 fee, I was able to use the $200 credit in each of 2011 and 2012 since it's a calendar year credit. So it was basically $50 for 25K points, not even factoring the fee for the gold card (which was credited back to me) into the equation.

3. Bhsu21

Bhsu21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply. Which airline did you choose for your credit?

4. Bhsu21

Bhsu21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I'll just add this question to the thread....

Because of my poor planning and not enough spending, I missed out on the 50K signup bonus I got with the Gold card. I needed $10K in 5 months. So now I can't get the 50K bonus.

So should I keep the card? Cancel before the renewal date so I don't pay the annual fee? Or upgrade to the Platinum and get 25K bonus that I mentioned?

5. amazzajr

amazzajr Active Member

Status Points:
    Is this an offer you can post so others can take advantage as well?

6. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I chose CO/UA because I'm kind of captive here in SFO, with my most frequent travel to EWR.

7. Bhsu21

Bhsu21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure!

(1) 25,000 Membership Rewards points applies to your first purchase on the Business Platinum Card by 07/31/13 and is available for first-time upgrades to Business Platinum Card only. You are eligible to earn points for only one Card account. Additional Card members are not eligible. Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards®account 6 to 8 weeks after your first purchase. No minimum purchase required. Bonus ID 8556.

8. Melissa

Melissa Silver Member

Status Points:
    And how does one go about applying this code? Do I need to call and ask a CSR to do it manually?

9. amazzajr

amazzajr Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

And yes...same question, should we call? Or is there an application link we can use in the email that was sent to you?

10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How have other Business Platinum AMEX offers been compared to 25,000? I got a relative of mine to jump on a 75K bonus for the Business Open Gold last year (while CO was still a transfer partner) and that annual fee is coming up in a few months. They got this offer as well, but to switch out the Gold for the Platinum. I told them to stay for the time-being, as 25K seemed somewhat low and the Gold has 2x/3x categories.