Upgrade to First with buddy pass

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Efilon87, Aug 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey everyone,

My seat mate on a recent flight (GRU-CLT) had booked her Econ ticket with her uncles buddy pass. She upgraded to Envoy for $100 when she checked in at the airport. Now Envoy was less than half full. Is this a normal co-pay for an upgrade on a buddy pass?

~Efilon87

2. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure about buddy passes on US [or any carrier for that matter] but to be able to upgrade an ultra-cheap or free fare for $100 for a Brazil-U.S. flight is a heck of a steal!!!

Mapsmith likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know of any airline that would allow a non-rev ticket (award or pass travel) to be upgraded.

Could be that some unscrupulous gate agent saw that Envoy was mostly empty and decided to make some cash on the side?

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen it happen a couple of times where the business/first cabin isn't full. If there are no more elites to upgrade then why not upgrade a non-rev? The person pays fees with the buddy pass so I don't doubt that it's slightly more for a premium cabin.