Upgrade to First Class with Miles

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by voh2ox2, Jan 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. voh2ox2

voh2ox2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do you upgrade to first class using miles?
    What type of ticket do you need to buy?
    When do you ask for the first class upgrade?
    I have no clue about any of this - we have no status with any ailine, but United hardly ever has saver awards and I hate to spend 35000 miles to go one way to the Caribbean.
    Any help is greatly appeciated.
    Ellen

SC Flier likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can upgrade using miles from any revenue coach ticket. For flights to the Caribbean there will likely be a $125/person cash component to the upgrade as you indicate you have no elite status and if the fare is a cheaper one.

The upgrade from the USA to the Caribbean will cost you between 10,000 and 25,000 points, in addition to the possible $125 in cash. And that's on top of the underlying economy fare.

Upgrade awards are rarely a good value and, in this case, I'd say you're much better spending the 35K than spending the cash for the base fare, the $125 and the ~20K for the upgrade.

Also, I'd look at partners and other options for the straight up award as it might be possible to find the seats you're looking for without paying the 2x points. If you've got dates/cities you're considering we can help.

Counsellor and SC Flier like this.
  3. voh2ox2

voh2ox2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow - that was fast, thank you!! I don't know when we can go, but I will be sure to ask. Thank you again for your time.
    Ellen

SC Flier likes this.
  4. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying on ANA to China and Asiana back home, 35K miles to upgrade to next class of service for each airline. Dont know if there is a co-pay. Thoughts?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked at the fare class for the purchased ticket?

6. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked the flights with my miles, so i think they are X.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you've booked an award ticket then it cannot be upgraded using miles. You can change the booking to a business class award - and C will be much nicer than Y on those flights - but that's a rather different beast. The difference in points required should be 27,500 each way per passenger.

That said, I'm pretty sure that MSPeconomist was alluding to the fact that upgrading flights not operated by CO or UA requires that the original fare be a Y or B class and those are generally very expensive to begin with.

theBOAT likes this.