Upgrade to E+ on US-Europe flight for Gold?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Travelmom4, Feb 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelmom4

Travelmom4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Husband and I have gold status on United thanks to his many years of flying . Not my favorite airline lately but I do like the perk of being able to choose an E+ seat for no charge upon booking in E. Wondering if this benefit applies to flights from the US to Europe as well? What about fare sales to Europe? I see nothing in the T & C that says otherwise but I confess that I started to doze while reading them.

Anyone have experience or expertise? Does this apply only on UA metal?

traveltoomuch and 8MiHi like this.
  2. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA metal only and all UA flights.

traveltoomuch and Garp74 like this.
  3. Travelmom4

Travelmom4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    What Zomby said. Fare class does not matter.

If you're considering a Europe trip, you may get to enjoy one of the other perks of gold: lounge access when traveling on an international ticket. Applies when flying any star alliance carrier at any star alliance lounge (departure/connecting airports only; MAYBE at arrival airports, but don't count on it).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    Zomby Woof likes this.
  5. Travelmom4

Travelmom4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is very good to know! I wasn't aware of the lounge access but will put it to good use.

6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might want to closely study the chart at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/default.aspx

There's probably not much else at the gold tier that matters much, but take note of the waived same-day change fees and the reduced award change, redeposit, and close-in fees.

From what you said, I'm inferring that hubby is a million miler. Keep in mind that if he should happen to qualify for some higher tier (e.g. Platinum or 1K) in a given year, you'll both get those perks. Platinum (requiring 75K of flying and some stupid amount of spending) comes with all award fees waived (not just reduced), waived phone booking fees, better chances at domestic upgrades, and a couple of confirmable domestic upgrades every year (but only for the member earning the status, not for spouses of million milers). I wouldn't push hubby to go for higher status just for those perks, especially with the reduced earnings from paid flights starting next month, but you should know about them all the same.

Zomby Woof and Garp74 like this.