Upgrade strategy US air flights

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Juanefny, Jan 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I'm now a lowly gold and I have a pretty complicated multi-city itinerary I'm about to book that has some US and some AA segments. From what I read on AA's website, I would be better off booking these on usairways.com for the operated by US flights as I would upgrade two days out without needing to use eVIPs. Am I reading that correctly?

Newscience and daninstl like this.
  2. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    To my understanding you cannot use AA SWUs (which is how I interpret your eVIP) on US flights. You may not even be able to use them on AA metal as US codeshares. Are you a former EXP with some left over SWUs that have yet to expire?

3. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry wrong terminology. I meant the 500 mile upgrade stickers. Not sure where my mind was last night lol

4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as your still Gold you should be able to use them.
    I have a bunch of 500 mile stickers from Platinum days at AA but I made the mistake of letting my status drop there and put my eggs in the US air status. I hope to get back over to at least AA Gold once the programs merge.

Newscience likes this.
  5. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that's the case, then yes you are probably better off booking via US and using their complementary upgrade program which clears 2 days out. Note that for the codeshare flights on AA metal your upgrade will only confirm at time of check in. From https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp
    • On codeshare flights
      Upgrades on codeshare flights (flights marketed by American/operated by US Airways or flights marketed by US Airways/operated by American) will continue to be offered based on availability at check-in only.

Newscience likes this.