Upgrade Strategy for SFO-DFW on Presidents Day weekend?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Explore, Feb 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an AA newbie and recent Platinum with few base flight miles, I have only a few upgrade stickers. I'm willing to buy just two more so my wife and I can upgrade in one direction only from SFO to DFW and return. We're going outbound on a dinner flight Friday evening, and returning on a snack flight just after the dinner hour on Monday. However we can eat well at SFO's fabulous Terminal 2 before boarding the DFW flight, and will have more need of plane food out of DFW, where we may arrive as the plane is boarding.

Any thoughts on the food likely to be served in FC on each flight, and which flight may be the easier upgrade?

Thanks....

2. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO-DFW is a heavy EXP route so an upgrade with Platinum may be tough especially if you trip is before the end of March when the DEQM bonus ends. I have flown this route in a weekend 15 times in the last year, and usually get upgraded as a EXP, but sometimes it is at the gate and I buy my tickets at least 2 mths in advance. The lunch/snack the last couple of times has been a cheeseburger or chicken salad. I rarely fly the evening route so I am not sure of the dinner or upgrade chances.

Explore likes this.
  3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    An additional wrinkle in your upgrade 'chances' is going to be that through passengers will have priority over you.

There is a link on the other BB that people post their recent meals. Check it out to see what you might have as options on your flights.

Good luck on the upgrades!

Explore likes this.
  4. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. Another newb question: with two pax on the PNR, one Plat and the other nothing, how does AA prioritize the upgrades? Do they upgrade one and not the other?

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They'll upgrade you together when two seats become available based on the highest status held by a traveler, however if two seats do not become available the next individual requester behind you on the list will get the seat.

If you are willing to take one seat in first and one in the back if the situation arises, you need to call in and ask them to split your PNR to do so. Mixed revies on whether your split companion retains the PLT status after the split, but signs on the wiki and experienced posters on TOBB seem to say "no".

6. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    But how many thru passengers would there be at SFO? I can't imagine many...

7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I meant, those connecting in DFW as opposed to starting their journey there, like the OP will be. Those travelling from/on to somewhere besides DFW will have upgrade priority.

8. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 to the food options at SFO. Altho' the options at Terminal D at DFW aren't necessarily horrible either, in case the upgrade doesn't clear.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  9. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As one who will be spending almost all day at terminal D this Wednesday before heading out to FRA....any recommendations for lunchtime eats here? I've had Cousin's BBQ before but I think that's all.

10. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there is a Reatta in terminal D. I have never eaten at the one at the airport, but I have eaten at the one in downtown Fort Worth many times. I like their "saddlepack combination"...tamale and field green salad...at lunchtime. It is southwestern food. I have also had their chicken fried steak which is huge and good.

Skye1 and TheBeerHunter like this.
  11. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a Reatta there.

12. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    TheBeerHunter likes this.
  13. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ooh, I didn't realize there was another BBQ option -- Railhead BBQ. Anyone know if it's any good?

14. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points: