Upgrade Standby Priority For GPUs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Sep 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife (Gold) and I (1K) are on the same flight, waitlisted for GPU upgrades coming out of my account. At the 24 hr mark we both got notified that we'd be added to the standby upgrade list since we didn't clear.

From

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/swupgrades.aspx?Mobile=1
    Confirmation priority

Global Premier Upgrades may be confirmed as early as time of ticketing or time of request. If upgrade space is not available at time of request, members will be placed on a waitlist. The waitlist will clear automatically by Premier status, then fare class*, then time of request. New waitlist requests for Regional Premier Upgrades can be made until to 24 hours prior to departure.

My wife is #5, I am #7 on the standby upgrade list. This despite me having the higher status. Fare class is identical. She checked in before me (separate PNR).

Does the above documented priority order only apply up to the 24 hr mark? If so, what's the order afterwards and is it documented somewhere?

Edit: doing some research while I sit here in the lounge pondering the 11 hrs in coach ahead of me, I find this post from UA Insider on FT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19093442-post98.html

... and then cleared based on Premier status of the redeeming account, followed by fare class then time of request

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Status is based on the account the upgrade comes out of so she's ahead of you by the check-in time tiebreaker. Doesn't explain #6 on the list but that is why she is #5 and you #7.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There were about 20 hrs between me and her getting boarding passes thanks to united.com spitting out my favorite "This is not a boarding pass" page for me when I went through OLCI. Not clear if my check-in time is based on my OLCI "attempt" or my showing up at the counter four hours prior to departure. Seems that someone else with the same fare class and 1K status checked in between us. When I checked last night about an hour after checking her in and getting my "no-boarding-pass", that person wasn't showing on the list yet.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They eventually (I waited until the last minute in the gate area) cleared #7 and #8 from the BF standby list, so I traveled in style (and middle seat, of course).

IDGflygirl likes this.
  5. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it better to add to the wait list early or just wait until there's actually R space open? Within 24 hours, if there's R space open and you're on the upgrade standby list can you call in and have them manually clear the GPU or are they not supposed to do that anymore?