Upgrade room with points -how does it work?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, Jul 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the inane question, but I am thinking about booking a stay at the Westin in Sendai, and would like to book the cheapest room (not particularly cheap at 26,000 yen) and upgrade it to a club room using points...

Is this going to fly? It's a category 5, so apparently it will cost 1500-2750 points for the upgrade, but will it upgrade to Club or only to the next level?

Is this worth doing, or are there any other ways to get a cheap club room? Currently have no status with SPG, but am considering doing a Plat challenge this year (have ten nights booked already).

Thanks for any help, I am not at all familiar with the program :D

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked at the room categories for this property. Some Sheratons/Westins seem to just offer their basic room, whatever it's called, and club level. In that case, the upgrade would be from a standard room to club level. Other properties have a lot of room categories and I think you would have to ask the hotel what their policy is and how many points would give a club room.

There might be an intermediate step possible of paying points to get club lounge access without necessarily having a room on the club floor. Sometimes club floor rooms are the same, sometimes they have more amenities (robe, slippers, more/nicer toiletries), and sometimes they're better furnished, but it's rare that regular club rooms are larger. Finally, sometimes club rooms come with other privileges, such as free use of the health club.

Look at the hotel's website on SPG, think what you want, and then contact either SPG or the hotel.

3. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! There are three classes of room on the website, so not a straight hop from standard to club, unfortunately.

We stayed in a club room earlier in the year when they were 50% off, and really liked it (amazing view). Guess I'll have to call someone tomorrow :confused:

4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a reply to this thread on Twitter from @SPGInsider:

[​IMG]
    SPGInsider
    @mp_starwood Hi there! The Westin Sendai does not offer Club rooms on points; on a paid rate only.

SPGInsider
    @mp_starwood You can either upgrade to a Superior or a Deluxe room, subject to availability within 5 days of arrival.

sendaiben likes this.
  5. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    From the photos I don`t think I`d upgrade using points for just a Superior or Deluxe room however it is up to you. It might be worth emailing the hotel to see if they offer cash upgrades to Club on check in or any other alternatives.

6. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. In that case we'd just take the cheapest room, I think :D