Upgrade Request question

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Ed Ip, Dec 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I have a rather novice question regarding upgrade requests. My wife and I reached Silver recently but have booked a flight for mid-Jan'12 prior to reaching that status, and the booking doesn't have the "Upgrade Requested" text next to it.

Will we still be in the upgrade queue closer to departure or do I need to do something else to get on the queue?

Thanks!

Ed

2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    You don't need to do anything -- the bad news is chances of a Silver getting upgraded aren't that great anymore, but once in a while it does happen.

The good news is some of the elite seats in coach will open up as people with higher status get upgraded and you might have a chance to select a better seat four or five days before your flight.

DTWBOB

miles and smiles and rwoman like this.
  3. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

We don't have high hopes of being upgraded but the thought that it might happen is what keeping me alive. :p The good news is we can now choose preferred seats/exit rows at time of booking if nothing else.

miles and smiles and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ed Ip,

Welcome to milepoint!

Call DL and have them update your reservation...probably the fastest way to at least upgrade your reservation!

:)robin

miles and smiles likes this.
  5. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    OMG OMG!! We just got upgraded for our outbound flight to SAN for Friday. It's our first flight since being silver. Woot.

(Sorry, I am a dork but super excited)

seaflyer, desamo, dogwalker and 4 others like this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you're not a dork!! :)

My best friend made FO over Thanksgiving and had her first two flights since this past weekend. She got the ug on both legs and was very happy too! :)

Largely due to less business travel, ug's are easier for many this week.

Enjoy your flights!!

miles and smiles and DeltaExpert like this.
  7. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats!

Welcome to MilePoint and Keep Climbing with Delta!

rwoman and miles and smiles like this.
  8. dldmfll

dldmfll Member

Status Points:
    Way to GO!!! Enjoy the time up front. From what city are you originating? and are you making a connection?

rwoman and miles and smiles like this.
  9. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all! It's one heck of a way for us to ring in the new year!

dldmfll: RIC-ATL-SAN.

rwoman likes this.
  10. I'm based in SAN and I take that route frequently. I've sat next to Diamonds in coach, it's amazing that you got that upgrade!

11. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Longer flights are indeed tougher (and more desirable) to get upgrades on, and I feel like my upgrade ratio was much better while I was Silver and Gold for most of last year than as a Plat or Diamond these past 9 months. But at the same time, Delta takes fare paid into account so if a Silver member paid more money to get to SAN than a Diamond on a sLUT fare, Delta probably considers that Silver more worthy of the upgrade.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be against the published T&C of the DL FF program to upgrade a Silver on anything less than a Y fare for free before upgrading the DM even at the lowest fare code, assuming that the upgrade was properly requested and there weren't any other issues such as trying to upgrade a companion with an award or pay with miles ticket or too many companions on the PNR.

DL does take fare into account in processing upgrades, but only after status level, with the exception of full Y fares which take priority over any other fare code, so that a FO on Y beats a DM on B or sLUT.

13. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    or things like people who have had 'interesting' days because of delays on other flights etc...

DTWBOB