Upgrade request periods extended during holidays

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Dec 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. An AC concierge told me a couple of hours ago that SE upgrades can be requested up to 14 days before flights between now and December 31. That includes flights for the first 14 days of January if requested by December 31

Elites can request U/G's within 7 days prior and Prestige within 4 days.

Nice gesture by AC.

mtlfire and YULtide like this.
  2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice ... but unless there is increased 'R' fare bucket availability, it won't mean much -- most upgrades will still be handed out at the gate.

3. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/air/eupgrade_promo/eupgrade_promo.html

As a special bonus this holiday season, Air Canada is offering its Top Tier members the opportunity to request their upgrade sooner with an expanded eUpgrades booking window. It’s applicable to eUpgrade requests made between December 10 and December 30, 2012, when traveling with a Tango Plus fare on all flights operated by Air Canada or Air Canada Express.

If you are an You can request your upgrade
    Air Canada Super Elite member Within 14 days before departure date
    Air Canada Elite member Within 7 days before departure date
    Air Canada Prestige member Within 4 days before departure date
    You can request your upgrade online at aircanada.com/eupgrades, by calling Air Canada Reservations or your travel agent.

Terms and conditions:
    Upgrades are subject to availability and to the terms and conditions outlined at aircanada.com/eupgrades. Offer is valid for one-way upgrades to the Executive cabin when traveling with a Tango Plus fare on all scheduled flights operated by Air Canada or Air Canada Express . This offer is valid for upgrade requests made between December 10 and December 30, 2012 and does not apply to any requests made outside that date range.

4. I have looked at some flights to/from Europe and noticed a lot of R space except for the days immediately prior to Xmas day.

5. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would have been nice to get an e-mail, stumbled upon this while looking at bookings and noticed I could upgrade outside of regular windows. Then found out about it here.

Still getting waitlisted though :D Except on Montreal to Toronto, can't wait for this to burn less than 6 credits next year.

YULtide likes this.
  6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course in the first year of the eUpgrades, the holiday offering from AC was being able to upgrade a half the normal rate. That's not appeared through Easter or mid-summer, nor now at Christmas/New Years. Experience from previous years shows that most elites find themselves getting opups on major routes as flights tend to be overbooked. So this helps AC free up a few of those overbooked economy cabin seats and reduce the outstanding number of eUpgrade credits in circulation. No loss to AC just gains for it and can still manipulate R inventory on key routes. Smart move...

mtlfire likes this.
  7. I will have about 50 ecerts left over at the end of February so maybe AC sees longer upgrade periods as a better deal for their customers.

8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please do feel free to share those with your MP friends! ;)

I do have flights where I could use the credits but (1) YYZ-EWR is just too short for 6 credits, (2) op-ups are not infrequent for SEs, and (3) I'm saving the credits for the long-haul TPAC flights.

9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aye, there's the rub. On a conjoint trans-continental flight, I have three segments in a row: the slow one that takes me via tinyplane (no upgrades possible) from Fort St John down to Vancouver, the longish one over to Toronto (where an upgrade into an 'adult bassinet' aka 'pod' would be appreciated) and then the further short one down to Boston (where there is a small front cabin with tiny seats). Guess which of those two potentially-upgradeable segments clears first?

I am always loth to risk blowing 6 credits in exchange for an inedible lemon-cake and perhaps one glass of Scotch on the YYZ-BOS leg, when the chance to use 10 credits to upgrade from YVR clear through the BOS is hung up in Aerolotto waitlist purgatory.

Mind'ee that at the moment it's all moot, as I finally figured out that booking Z-fares two months out is vastly kinder to the pocketbook than booking GHIJKLMNOPQ/whatever fares at two weeks out.

YULtide likes this.
  10. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you end up with only the short segment upgraded, you can always cancel your upgrade request before boarding to avoid spending points on a meaningless short flight.

mevlannen likes this.
  11. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, good point. Now the question is, "do I trust Air Canada's IT enough to risk losing the e-upgrade points into IT limbo?"

YULtide likes this.
  12. The ecert software is one of the best systems AC has ever created and is a very efficient site.

13. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least you no longer have to log into it separately... best system they have ever created doesn't say much about the rest of what they have done... does it?

YULtide likes this.
  14. That is a true statement. However, since they engaged IBM on a long term basis things have gotten better. They also need to apportion some Capex into their systems. While the ecert system is very good, the overall upgrade program is well out of date. MM'ers are not recognized in the current upgrade profiling done before a flight and connecting passengers are often ranked ahead of SE's originating at the connection point for upgrades on flights.

15. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    but is that by design?

16. No its on their list of IT projects to update but not ranked very highly at present.
    I just upgraded a flight on Jan.4 w/o any issues so that 14 day window is working.