Upgrade questions for an expert Alaska flyer

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by daninstl, Apr 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm newly an MVP member with Alaska, but ironically I don't fly them much for personal use. So the benefits say I can upgrade certain fares (S,B,Y or YAS). My question is if I book a fare like this but use the companion (credit card) ticket traveling with me I assume you can't get them upgraded with this same process??

The same benefits also mention possibility to upgrade on "select Delta flights" I assume these are rare like skypeso award availability :) ?

2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can find U fare class availability, you can upgrade both yourself and your companion traveling on the companion fare.

Upgrades on DL are as rare as the proverbial unicorn. You are entitled to an upgrade, but you rank behind DL's lowest elite members

daninstl likes this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great. Thanks for the info.

DL = Unicorn = Upgrade....Makes sense :)

4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can confirm Y, B, or S fares into F at time of booking if U is available. You can see that online if you filter for mvp upgrade available.

You can upgrade on any other fare within the 48 he window if U space is available.

However as mvp you don't get companion upgrades - that is mvp gold or above so I don't believe you can use companion cert and buy YBS to get you and companion upgraded.

daninstl likes this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I was afraid of. I'm not too sure my wife would be crazy if I left her in coach on the plane to Hawaii or where ever so I could move up front :) Might be a chilly vacation.

6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haha. Understood. There is a whole post on TOBB about mvp and companion cert questions. There may be some strategies still I believe like splitting PNR and using miles to upgrade her. But you might need a higher fare class in that case. full flex does give you bonus EQM though so you can make mvp gold ;)

daninstl likes this.
  7. Edelman

Edelman Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not possible to upgrade only one passenger if you have two traveling and you've used a companion certificate. This is because both passengers have to be on the same reservation and a single reservation can't have passengers in different classes of service.

However you can upgrade both passengers to F if space is available if both passengers are MVP or higher. Keep in mind this will require that two U seats be available at the time you want to upgrade. If there is only one then you can't take it and wait for a second one (see rule about different classes of service on one reservation).

AS has a very generous plan whereby if you don't qualify for MVP they will give you a challenge. The number of flights is modest and a few short hops is enough. Since they will generally extend the offer to family members you might consider this for 2016.

While I've never tried combining an MVP Gold Guest upgrade with an MVP upgrade I see no reason they can't be used together. Find someone who is willing to gift or trade you one of these and then upgrade yourself with your status. Or use miles for your wife and your status for yourself. So long as there are two upgrades available it should work.

daninstl likes this.