Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by James K., May 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey I'm a DL Silver and am fine with my minuscule upgrade percentage. However, I'm traveling JFK-SEA this summer on an flat-bed configured 767 and I was wondering if I should upgrade my wife and I with miles (traveling on a K fare).

However, if you'll pardon my ignorance, I don't really know how to go about this, whether I'm likely to be successful, etc. Do people still upgrade using miles domestically? Will this jump me in the line over higher medallion levels? Help please!

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are restrictions on what fare classes can be upgraded with miles, I personally don't know if K is one that permits it. A call to the Skymiles desk should be able to answer that for you. I personally don't use miles domestically, either for reward tickets, or upgrades, but that's just personal preference. I find I get more out of them by using them internationally. If you "buy" an upgrade with miles, you should instantly confirm to that class, so you'd absolutely be ahead of any other people on the waitlist.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    K class is valid for domestic upgrades. (Not for international.)

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upgrading with miles will certainly give you priority over anyone not upgrading with miles. Getting upgraded as a silver is fairly rare on Delta, although my daughter did get upgraded from JFK to LAX a few months ago.
    If you really want the good seats, I would recommend parting with the miles.

5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to do it do it.You have almost no chance of being upgraded otherwise.

6. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys. Since AF and DL effectively ended their partnership (at least out of IAD) my DL miles are worth even less to me, and so I think I'm comfortable parting with some of them. How do I go about doing this though -- do I have to call them?

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes call, although you can check upgrade inventory in advance on EF. The sooner you call the better your chances. You can waitlist, but if miles upgrades don't clear by T-24, officially they won't but YMMV.

DL upgrades with miles or SWUs require K+ for domestic, M+ for longhaul international into BE. Hawaii may be an exception and be careful about the DL definition of international.

8. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked it! Thanks guys. It's always hard parting with miles, and harder here when they're not getting me anywhere I wasn't already going, but I'm looking forward to it.